Sunday, April 15, 2007

Some Things are Worth Waiting For...

especially waiting an extra day or two for Smurph Baggins blog post. As a Jets fan in the 90s, the NFL Draft might as well have been the Super Bowl for me. It's always been one of my favorite events of the year and the Jets always make it exciting. I won't go too deep into the history, but they arguably have had more busts (Blair Thomas, Johnny Lam Jones, Kyle Brady...) and made more boneheaded decisions than any other team in the NFL (Ken O'Brien over Marino, Brady over Sapp, Bryan Thomas over Ed Reed. So with the draft a little under 2 weeks away, I've decided to take out the hairspray and do my best Mel Kiper Jr. impression with my own Top 5 Mock draft, as well as some thoughts on what a couple of other teams might do.

1. Oakland- JaMarcus Russell
Anyone remember Akili Smith? Great physical skills, but after one game he jumped all the way to the top of the draft. Look at all the quarterbacks that torched Notre Dame's defense the past season. One of the biggest misconceptions is that he's very mobile. He can move around, but he's not McNabb, he's not even Culpepper. They should get rid of Moss and take Calvin Johnson. He's a freak.

2. Detroit- Joe Thomas
Probably the 2nd best player in the draft behind Johnson. However, if Calvin is still on the board I can't wait to see Millen take another reciever.

3. Cleveland- Brady Quinn
He's the sure thing at QB in the draft. He's a local guy and can start from Day 1. They may have a more pressing need at RB, but I don't think they'll pass on a franchise QB.

4. Tampa Bay- Calvin Johson
Hands down best player in the draft. The Bucs make the playoffs next year.

5. Arizona- Gaines Adams
First defensive guy taken in the draft. Hell of an athlete at DE, and Cards really need OL but this guy could be a great pass rusher either at DE or at 3-4 OLB.

I think the G-Men need Posluszny. He should still be around at 20 and I think he could step in and start right away at weakside LB. The Pats could go a number of different ways with their 2 first round picks. I think they'll look for help at LB and in the secondary. If Posluszny or Patrick Willis are still around they'll grab one of those guys. Then I could see them going with Aaron Ross, Michael Griffin, or Reggie Nelson. I know they upgraded the WR position in the offseason but I wouldn't be surprised to see them take a WR that might slip like Dwayne Jarrett. Those tricky tricky Jets can probably go a number of different ways. My guess is they'll go after a corner, unless they sign the Gay guy away from the Patriots. Guys like Chris Houston, Darelle Revis, and Aaron Ross are some of the likely names. If Greg Olsen drops, I think he might be under consideration as well. Katzo's Dolphins probably will go for Levi Brown. They need some help on the OL especially to protect Trent Green if he comes aboard.

No comments: