Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Addiction is a Terrible Thing

The Following was first written on Wednesday April 11th.

Hello my name is Matthew and I am an addict. Its' been just about 12 hours since the last time I watched a game exclusively for fantasy purposes. I watched an entire baseball game last night without once having a preference as to which team won, this is what we call a fantasy dilemma, two starters both on my team working on relative gems. Matt Cain vs Chris Young, it was the first time I've watched a baseball game with absolute apathy concerning which team won, I truly did not care, so long as the score was low and someone came away with the win. As it turned out, they both dominated, Cain even taking a no hitter into the 7th. If I hadn't watched the game and someone told me it was 1-0, my first thought would not be to ask who won but to hope that either team's closer had blown it in the ninth while allowing the other pitcher to go the distance. To attain the coveted CG SHO.

Now, while I would prefer to think of myself as a baseball addict, monitoring scores every day because I truly care about the national league, rotating between 4-5 games on my MLB.TV subscription because I care; I don't. . . other than a slight affection for the Pirates and the Mets(fostered only by friends talking about them constantly). There is not one game in the national league that I care about in the slightest. Cardinals vs. Braves? Who fucking cares.

Thankfully there is a line; and we can draw that line with the Boston Red Sox. While in the past I have admitted that a Manny Ramirez groundout is not as terrible as a strikeout, this does not mean I am rooting for one. So far, I draw the line with the BoSox. Last season this was unequivocally true, never once when watching or attending a game did I root for someone over the Red Sox. This line while not having been crossed this season; will be tested when I am present for Dice-K V King Felix at Fenway tomorrow night. While I am a little worried for myself now, there is no doubt that once I enter Fenway Park, everything will be fine. That place is electric 100% of the time. Until I prove that the addiction does have boundaries, for now I'll just be happy I switched to a bases loaded 9th the other day that didn't have anything to do with "my guys" over a Delmon Young at bat (he homered). .

Also I get way to much joy from ridiculing Mr. Relaxo for his terrible fantasy drafts, and subsequently making fun of Neal for losing to the Chone Figgins all stars in the first week of the season. It can't be healthy.

****An update****
I wrote this about a week ago but since Neal couldn't post it until around now, ive got some updated information regarding my little addiction. I did attend the King Felix Masterpiece at Fenway. I was very much relieved that I was rooting for the Red Sox over my Fantasy Stud. Granted, the pain of my home team getting no hit was lessened a tiny bit by my separate interests in the game, but when JD Drew hit one up the middle, I was happy and celebrated along with everyone else. I've heard certain people telling me that at some point, one has to start rooting for history over the home team. Its an interesting point but I don't think I can see that happening at Fenway. The people there are just too passionate(to the point of insanity with some Boston Fans)


As a guest writer, who knows when I'll be called up for another chance, so to provide some balance to the constant barrage of people tonguing A-Rod's balls (he has been a beast but is still a bitch).
Couple Points on the Red Sox and other things

1. A: Dice-K is sick but even if he beats up on the Mariners and Royals; No verdict i s in until those bum ass yanks come into town. So easy Boston fans(not that any Boston fan would ever heed that advise)
2. As I'm writing this, this girl I work with, her dad just called her because he just scratched a 1 million dollar lottery ticket. (Don't worry only 30 Grand a year for ever) So for anybody that lives in Cambridge and didn't stop at the neighborhood bodega for a lotto ticket, way to blow it. Seriously kill yourself
3. I kinda like JD Drew, haven't seen enough yet but he has been solid hustling in the field and hasn't shown much of the lack of effort that we hear so much about. Though I'm sure he'll die this afternoon from a faulty cleat or something.
4. Schilling, Papelboner and Beckett will be fine. Romero, Pinero, Timlin and co will not be
5. I really don't like Julio Lugo
6. Or Dustin Pedroia
7. Ricky Davis is the most Electrifying man in sports.
8. Sox and Yanks are in trouble when it comes to Pitching but what else is new
9. Joe Crede is terrible
10. I don't know about this Julio Lugo guy, it is tough to see these Red Sox and compare them to the 2004 World Series team, so many new faces, hired guns every year. Its tough to get behind all of these guys, im sure ill come around like I did with Lowell and Crisp last year but the Red Sox fully embracing the evil empire(buy players) mentality has been a weird transition

And Finally, thank the lord for Kevin Durant officially announcing.
Let's do it Celtics, Lose these last few, we can do it.

This post was written by special contributor to the blog CERTANE.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I must say, I have to agree about your assement of my fantasy drafts (with exception of basketball this year), most of them have been horrible. I like to go with my gut and take risks people normally don't take early in the draft.

That being said, in my defense, I constantly battle and end up in contention in every sport, every year (and in know its early in baseball but my team is looking bleeker by the day and their is not much talent to grab out there, I'm reaching with some of these moves I'm pulling). I consider myself a phenomenal season, not draft, GM (usually because I am too drunk at the start, and finish).

Really, what I'm trying to say here is that with all the shit talking about my draft skills, even in the middle of the week, I STILL beat Neal, the first week after the draft in baseball this year.