Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Beers, Buzzer Beaters and..... Buffalo????

This past weekend I traveled to Buffalo. I should probably stop here and explain I was visiting an old college roommate, I understand nobody just goes to Buffalo for the hell of it. Anyways, I don't know the exact criteria but the Buffalo Sabres were recently names the best franchise in all of professional sports.

I know I know, thats ridiculous and makes no sense, but after experiencing first hand Buffalo during a playoff game, I kind of understand now. I mean these people are crazy. I'm in Boston where every 3rd or 4th person is guaranteed to be wearing some kind of Red Sox gear, but in Buffalo... I'm talking everyone is wearing Sabres gear. Not just hats either, hockey jerseys, t-shirt jerseys, tattoos.

So Friday night was game 4 of their series against the Islanders. It was also game 1 of Red Sox-Yanks. I was at an apartment where people were over and they brought a few tv's into the living room. I figured I'd get at least one tv for the baseball game. Not a chance. All tv's on the Sabres game. 4 of the guys there even pledged and signed contracts to get tattoos if they won the Stanley Cup. From the opening minute these guys were into the game like nothing i've ever seen. Usually in a party atmosphere, people are socializing and not entirely focused on the game.
There was one point where the video of the game froze because of technical difficulties. What did these guys do? Without hesitation, took off ran outside to their cars and sat in them listening to the radio until the picture came back AND THIS GAME WAS NOT EVEN CLOSE!.

So, when you combine fan interest, with low ticket prices, a good product, and a city without ANYTHING else I guess it only makes sense that they would be on top of the rankings.

RED SOX- YANKS:
I am not concerned. Each year at some point in the season I find myself saying, man this is finally it, the Red Sox are going to win the division. Last year it was during the summer when it seemed like half the lineup was out and the Red Sox were leading the division by like 5 or 6 games (please dont check the accuracy of these summer standings). This year is it already time for that proclamation? I dont think so. Sox 3 top starters got hit pretty good. Schilling and Beckett really don't scare me, Dice-K does. Yanks will get stronger, go on a run, add an arm (Hello Roger).

Can anybody else not wait for Phillip the Phenom to take the mound tonight???
Love that Pettite and Giambi are texting Clemens

NBA Playoffs:
I really wish these games were every other night and then an extra day for travel. The Warriors and Nuggets mini upsets in Game 1 have lost a little steam. Both have just lost their second games, but as the road team all your looking for is the split in the first two.
Baron Davis just got ejected, his second technical was for clapping in a mocking way. Can anyone say referee gate II??

I think Kobe will have one last gasp in Game 3 at home. Expect Kobe to try and win this one on his own.

Rockets are going to be a serious threat to whoever they play from here on out. I have my finger ready, I want to move T-Mac up to Tier 1.

Could the Eastern Conference first round be any more boring?
So far I'm 2-2 on my picks with Barbosa for 6th man and Mitchell for COY
I never gave a defensive player of the year I'm going with Marcus Camby, with Tim Duncan coming a close second and Bruce Bowen in 3rd. If I did this one already, then I'm now revising it.

NUTS AND BOLTS:
What is it about food at games that makes it so good? I mean at any real baseball park I've been to Yankee, Fenway, Shea... i could eat at least 5 hot dogs without breaking a sweat. Yes I am an eating machine, but even mere mortals like yourself could eat 3 no problem. Are these regular hot dogs I could buy at the grocery store? And if this is the case why have i been settling for Hebrew Nationals all these years?

Why do some guys not cut their fingernails? I happen to be a biter but I dont care how you get it done. Too many guys let their nails grow to inconsiderate lengths. I can't think of one advantage to having long nails. Girls yes, do it for style, looks, etc.

Here's a question that recently came up with a slight variation... Let's say you have tickets to a game and you have one extra ticket and there are only two options. Do you take a friend of yours who happens to be a fan of the team playing versus your best friend who might not be as big a fan but would still enjoy himself.
As someone who has had tickets to games in the past and invited people I think someone should draw up rules for this. It doesn't have to follow my exact scenario but how do you choose who to invite? Where does bringing a girl fit it? What if it's a first date versus a girlfriend? Whats if it's playoffs versus regular season?

I will draw up my own hierarchy of rules for next week's column, but let's hear some ideas.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Great Ticket Debate

Here's how it works in order.

Regular season:

1) Best friend regardless of team allegiance. (I have taken Seth to Fenway when the Yankees were in town). It's only the regular season, there are 81 home games...

2) Close friend, who is a fan

3) Girlfriend

4) Not so close friend, who is avid fan of home team.

5) Dad

6) First date

Playoffs:

1) Dad

2) Close friend who is a fan

3) Not so close friend, who is avid fan

4) Best friend, fan of opposing team

5) Girlfriend

You should not be taking a first date to a playoff game, unless she is of Jessica Alba status.


The basic principal here is that playoff games carry far more weight than regular season games. Also, you have a far greater opportunity to go to multiple regular season games (and thus hit more people on the list) than you do going to playoff games.

Anonymous said...

This guy would take is girlfriend to a game over his own father?

I don't care if its regular season, pre-season or rabbit season your dad should always come before a girlfriend no matter what the scenario.

Your father is the person who most likely took you to your first game and got you into sports in the first place, and you owe it to him to repay him for that for the rest of your life, even if it is only a meaningless game.

Obviously you don't have to invite him to all the games, you can invite your good friends and super fans also, but he should ALWAYS come before a girl on the list when it comes to sporting events. Period.

Anonymous said...

Can someone explain why a first date would ever make the list of taking people to a ballgame??

Anonymous said...

4th on the list for a playoff game?

I don't care if I am a fan of the other team, isn't that what being best friends is all about? Taking him to a playoff game and cheering hard against eachother while drinking some brews?

I can understand pops, and even close friend who is a fan, but not so close friend? to a playoff game? over your best friend? Thats weak dude.

We are totally not best friends anymore.

Anonymous said...

You are soo not my best man anymore...

Anonymous said...

screw all a dat. i would take a chick to a regular season game in a heartbeat if i knew i was gettin my dick wet by the end of the night

Anonymous said...

you are one pathetic loser!

Anonymous said...

Who is taking "not so close friends" anywhere? You're not close with them! Stop giving them baseball tickets! That's why you have real friends - to do things with.

Also, if you are somehow lucky enough to find a girl who actually wants to go to a baseball game with you on a first date - you should probably take her.

NotAHugeSportsFan said...

When you have single seats...be sure to take "the not close friend".

Anonymous said...

Also loving that Pettite and Giambi are texting Clemens.

The date dilemma…
If you made a promise to take a girl to the game, then that is your fault in the first place… you have to man up, tell both your fanatic friend and beloved father that you picked a girl over them. Even though she probably isn’t interested in the game in the first place and is just going along because she wants to be that cool girl who can be one of the boys (hint: she will never be one of the boys). This girl should be avoided regardless of if you have tickets or not.

On the other hand… if you are in the market to impress, asking the girl would make her think that you are super fly and will result in wet dick by the end of the night.

Options should be weighed before making any rash decisions.

Anonymous said...

ever gotten dome in the bleachers of a baseball game? didnt think so

Anonymous said...

Still wet is obviously talking about a wet DREAM because he definitely has not gotten any in his life..

Anonymous said...

Maybe, IM off but is it me or did that seem like Da Bocker was slightly drunk the entire time? Everything seemed just a little off, i mean fingernails?? What is with that?

Anonymous said...

i don't have a brother

my best friend is a yankees fan and i'm a red sox fan

you don't have a girlfriend