Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Nuts and Bolts

I don't really have one topic to address today but rather a bunch of little ones.

First, congratulations to Curtin on his first guest blog. I think you do straddle the fence on appropriate fan behavior and inappropriate fan behavior, but addressed the issue well.

I have a confession to make. I almost threw up yesterday. I went to play the draft lottery game on espn, and not even seeing the Knicks logo made me nauseaous. Watching what Tyrus Thomas is doing these days, and playing that stupid game with names like Julian Wright, Conley, Noah (i dont want him) popping up next to the Bulls makes me sick. Isiah has gone like 3-14 since his contact extension. We know all about the injuries, but I'm tired of excuses! Home games against lottery teams need to be won down the stretch, no matter who you put on the court.

I know, I know it's hockey but come on... do you see what the Rangers are doing these days? 7-0?!?! I admit I did not watch more then 10 minutes of regular season hockey this year and my cable service provider doesn't give me TSN, but I am very into these playoffs. I have minor interest in each of these three eastern conference series.
Rangers-Thrashers: I'm bleeding Ranger Blue
Senators-Penguins: Senators are the team I use in NHL '08, and got to love Sid the Kid
Sabres-???: Chris Drury is my fav player in hockey, read the recent SI, you'll love him

Everyone waiting for Arod to fail... can go home early. Two of the greatest players of our generation in their respective sports will be getting the monkey off their backs. Peyton got his, and Arod will get his. It's an Abomb... for Arod. Loved the start yesterday by Wright. Couldn't believe to read it was only his third start above Single A. Every start like that puts less pressure on the Yanks to rush Hughes up before they think he's ready. Wang comes back next week against the D-Rays, prob a smart move to push his first start back to after Fenway this weekend. If there are no other rain days we are looking at the Rook Wright against Dice-K.

Speaking of Dice-K, two tough losses. He keeps racking up the K's and got a little wild last night which led to his second loss. To be honest it's nice to see the man is human because through his first two starts I wasn't sure.

Can't wait for the NBA playoffs to start on Saturday. While on the topic of the NBA, I think David Stern did the right thing with Crawford. We all know Stern protects his referees (Duncan got fined $25,000) but rumor has it he has had many of these meetings with Crawford before. The last thing he wants are the refs to be the story of the game and with Crawford reffing a game that would be the case. The man has established himself in basketball history (one of 4 to ref 2000+ games), but he broke the golden rule... do not be bigger then the game, do not be the story line. The clip of Duncan sitting there laughing and suddenly getting tossed is pretty funny, but also apparent that he should not have been tossed.

Vince Young is the cover boy for 2008 Madden.
The game gave Devon Hester 100 speed making him the first man in history to earn this honor.

It's getting ugly in Philadelphia. Manager Charlie Manuel is challenging reporters to fights, they are 3-9 despite being one of the favorites in the NL Least. Howard isn't hitting, Utley isn't hitting (haha 2 of Curtin's fantasy players)

Just for the hell of it... here's my NBA Elite
Kobe
Wade
Duncan
KG
Nash
Dirk
LBJ

Second Tier:
Iverson
T-Mac
Kidd
Carter
Shaq
Yao
Bosh
Arenas

Third Tier:
Pierce
Baron Davis
Brand
Jermaine O'Neal
Carmelo
Amare
Marion
Billups
Hamilton
Dwight Howard
Josh Howard
Chris Paul
Ray Allen
Tony Parker

For a few years now college coaches have been exposing a loop hole in the rules and text messaging recruits non stop. Like when chasing women, this can be a very effective tactic that guys like Billy Donovan and Urban Meyer to just name a few have been doing like crazy. I think it's important to regulate this because guys like OJ Mayo won't even give out their cell phone numbers. I'm kidding, but this contact does need to be controlled otherwise the kids will continue to get bombarded day and night.

I thought it was cool that the Washington National players were wearing Virginia Tech hats in Tuesday's game.

I know Coach Duleavy was upset that Dallas rested it's players against Golden State the other night but I can't get on them for that. They weren't doing it because they would rather face the Warrios then the Clippers (Warriors are 3-0 against Mavs this season). Avery did it for the good of his team. He didnt' have Stack and Dirk make the trip to Minnesota last week and he wanted them to get rest now. In every sport coaches who are playing for nothing before the playoffs make moves like this. In the NFL they might play the starters a quarter, in MLB they might push back someones start or give them a day off... so Dunleavy needs to quit whining and win some games in January and February.

Last thing, I would love to see a Nets-Raptors first round. I have been an avid Nets supporter for some time now (and they are my summer employer) but Carter deserves to be booed like crazy in Toronto. He quit on those guys and forced a trade. If a player ever did that to one of my teams i could never forgive him.

Wait one more thing... an isse that has been on my mind a lot lately is Chaffing
I watched the Boston Marathon the other day and this one guy ran by with blood all over one side of his chest. I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and say his bandaid fell off that nipple and thats what happened. Either that or an angry runner gave him a titty twister along the way. Now i was watching at mile 24, i cant imagine the pain he must have been in. On the other hand he may not have even known. a lot of these guys were just in a zone, not to be distracted by anything. I've known plenty of people to tape their nipples when wearing jerseys but never had i seen so much blood from not doing it.

While on the issue of chaffing I have recently begun running again and have been hit myself with the chaffing issue. I wear boxer briefs to run but sometimes this does not do the trick. Does anyone have any suggestions. Doug this may be your best opportunity to truley contribute to this blog, so what you got for me? I'm not really down for runnng spandex things, but is this the only option??

Does anyone think that maybe the sports bras women use are not only to control the "bounce" but also the issue of chaffing?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

The key to not chaffing is not being a fat slob and having your thunder thighs rub together like two manatees doing the dirty deed.

Get your act together!

Anonymous said...

I cried lke a baby last night....wah wah

Anonymous said...

Does anyone remember a chaffing conversation this summer that included a certain pigeon face? No? Well you missed out on a good time.

If you are running more than a few miles there are two things you must get. The first, run in shorts that include a liner (insert joke about short shorts here). The second, get yourself a stick of 'BodyGlide' and apply it to anywhere on your body where you suffer from chaffing. It can be found in your local CVS between the KY and the AstroGlide.

www.bodyglide.com

Anonymous said...

What does liner have to do with short shorts? I have liner in two pairs of my shorts that go down to my knees. Who wears short shorts? Sonny wears short shorts. Notice that he did not support boxer briefs because if he wore them they would stick out below his (short) shorts.

Anonymous said...

I don’t really know where to go with your chaffing dilemma. It’s unfortunate. I’m thinking that you may want to try the spandex… who knows… you may secretly enjoy it.

As for the runners, I can’t help but wonder if having bitch-tits has something to do with. I know there aren’t that many out of shape runners… especially running the Boston marathon… but maybe it accelerates the process?

cjeasy said...

bocker - great post, your best work yet. A-Rod is incredible. You gotta love em and I hope that Yankee fans continue to stay behind him, which can lead to ninth inning walk-offs even after going 0-4.

Is that true about Hester? If it is, its seriously one of the coolest things I have ever heard. The first thing I would do upon opening the game would be to play as the Bears and not begin the game until I win the toss and receive.

Totally agree with your tiered NBA list. I was looking for one or two guys who were out of place but couldnt really argue.

On the chaffing issue, go with notahugesportsfan on this. Obviously he likes to play with dolls / young boys, but he is 100% correct here. I had the same talk with him about a year ago, picked up a tube of bodyglide and my life has been much more enjoyable since.

Also, very clever on the whole chaffing discussion. No one actually believes your fat ass is running though.

Anonymous said...

Vince Carter is a tier 3 player. He is no better than Paul Pierce, and come to think of it, Pierce is better. What does Carter do better than Pierce other than dunk? Nothing. Pierce is more consistent from distance, is a better passer, scorer, leader, and rebounder.

Anonymous said...

lets not make this a race issue. hester may have been the first to get the 100 speed, but i deserved it. my one true fan, ev boyle, would agree.

cjeasy said...

Can't argue with you, Mr. Dwight. It was a real pleasure playing as you at Iowa in NCAA.