Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Friend of Mine

I am really looking forward to this years’ NBA Draft. Considering the fact that I am a Knicks fan, I really shouldn’t be. The Knicks will potentially be giving away a top five pick for the second consecutive year. The reason though that I am so intrigued by the draft is because of former University of Florida star, Joakim Noah. Joakim and I went to high school together. While like many friends from high school, I have kept in great touch with him, I am still very excited and interested in his potential NBA career.

We still have a few mutual friends and if I saw him it would be all good, but I do not really talk to him anymore. I am totally fine with this, but as a big sports fan there are times that I watch him play and wish I could talk to him about it. It is so weird to turn on WFAN or ESPN and hear pundits debating his draft status. At times like this, I would love the chance to talk to Joakim and discuss how he is going to become a better player and hopefully become one of the top players in the NBA as he did in college.

This got me thinking. What would I say to him? Well, there are so many things, but the main thing that keeps popping into my head is which current NBA All Star or Hall of Famer would I tell him to call for real advice. You always hear stories of young players calling some of the greats for advice on things they can do to be a better player. Look, Joakim is one of the more unique prospects to ever come into the Draft. He is long, skinny, has a weird looking jumper, has spotty offensive skills, has a never ending motor, is regarded as a tremendous teammate, and is a former Most Outstanding Player of the NCAA Tournament. He is one of the most weird prospects to project and everyone seems to have a different opinion on how good (or bad) he could be.

The one guy I think he should try to contact would be Kareem Abdul-Jabaar. This is a player that is without a doubt one of the top 10 players of all time. He had incredible longevity and holds the all-time points scored record. In addition though, he won five MVPs and not only won five titles with the Lakers in the 1980's, but also won a title in the 70's with the Milwaukee Bucks. There are a couple reasons I would pick him over everyone else. First is his ability to maximize his talents. He developed maybe the most unstoppable shot (sky hook) in the history of the league. He put up huge numbers all over the stat sheet. In his prime he was averaging 28 points, 15 rebounds, 4-5 assists and 3-4 blocks. The second reason is Kareems' incredible longevity. He appeared to have the same body from the time he was 22 to when he retired as a 41 year old. He actually looks like he still has that same body. He was dedicated to his craft and perfected it.

The knock on Kareem was his lack of a personality and lack of toughness or intensity on the court. Those are things we know Joakim has (whether you like his personality or not). Other big men I think could help Joakim as far as performance on the court and preparation off it are Alonzo Mourning, Bill Walton, Hakeem Olajuwon and Charles Barkley (smaller, but played big). Zo because he is the classic undersized center that battled his way to the top of the NBA through sure grit and determination. Walton because he was extremely talent, but ravaged by injury and he persevered to stay in the league longer than his legs should have allowed him. The Dream because he was a very good player who turned himself into an all time great midway through his career. He transformed his game and brought it to another level when people thought they had seen the best of him already. Sir Charles because of his fight and to be honest his candor. He would not only have good advice, but would nto be afraid to tell it like it is. I know there are many more who could help, but these are just guys that for some reason were the first into my head for whatever reason. In any event, I'm hoping for the best and we will see how it plays out. Thank you once again Isiah for being a jackass and losing our chance to get my boy. On second thought, the way things are goin maybe Joakim could drop to where the Bulls should pick...

Randoms

  • Two best players in MLB thus far in my mind both play in New York. One plays shortstop and the other should be (six errors for Jeter already??? Move him over to third!!! I am kidding all you Yankee snifers). I am talking about AROD and Reyes. Both are off to outstanding starts, AROD with more power and Reyes with more of an all aorund game. It will be fun to see if both can keep this up and if so where their seasons end up. I will say it again, if AROD keeps this up and does NOT opt out of his deal I would be shocked. He could sign another seven year deal worth over $130 million in this market..
  • Dice-K is now 1-2, but has pitched well in all three starts. I can't wait to see him on Sunday night baseball in Fenway against the Yankees. It looks like he will be going against either Chase Wright or Wang (if they feel they need to push him up).
  • Again, there are no words to explain this Va Tech incident. I know the kid must have had serious problems and he would have likely found a way to do something crazy if he was in that state of mind, but the gun situation in this country just confuses me.
  • Denver Nuggets have played great the past month and moved into the sixth seed in the West. Too bad for them they are a better match-up against the Suns (who they would have played if they stayed the seventh seed) than the Spurs (who they will play now). Iverson always gives Nash fits, and they like to play up and down. I still think the West will come down to the Suns and Spurs in Wes though. If thats the case I can't wait.
  • If you watch Mets games you will notice that so far this year the player that has been pitched around most has been Jose Reyes. Late in the game he is the guy pitchers don't want to face. Pretty amazing for a leadoff hitter.
  • Quick Giants note....I do not care what you think of Eli. The bottom line is he came out to the public and said he wants Plax and Shockey to come to the optional training camps in Jersey. They have heard his pleas and still elected to train down in Miami and not come up. Look, he might suck either way, but when the two best pass catchers refuse to train with the team(and young QB) that is a slap in a face. You gotta give the QB and the team the best chance to develop, and they are not doing that. I know a ton of Miami guys do this, but I don't care about the rest of them. These are two intrical member of the Giants, and they are undermining the QB and the team by not at least trying to sacrifice one offseason.
  • If the Knicks end up with the first or second pick overall I honestly think I might never make it back to the Garden. This is for another post because I have so much hate for them, but lets just leave it at this...Dolan was interviewed on Mike and the Mad Dog yesterday and he said that Isiah has a multiyear deal and he is the man to lead the Knicks for the next few years.
  • Jerry West is available, and still one of the best GMs in the game....
  • Just finished Snow in August by Pete Hamill...Very good book about being a young boy in Brooklyn. Sprinkles in some baseball, magic and race relations. Definitely worth a read.
  • Solid beginning of the end for The Sopranos. The end of this last episode really got me pumped up. There is truly an endless amount of directions they can go with it. I honestly do not think Tony will die, but honestly who knows. I will savor these last weeks though because while it is cliche to say this, Sopranos has been the best there is on TV over the past 8 years.

STKAFI...LETS GO RANGERS

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Neal, stop blowing me. Seriouslar, get off your knees

JWS said...

I hear what you're saying but why does Noah need to talk to someone more then anyone else. Noah seems to be as mature a college player as there is.

There are tons of other guys with way more serious issues then an ugly jump shot. Younger guys, foreign guys, etc.

I guess he's your boy and all so thats the point and you want the best for him, but he'll succeed because he's that type of kid... why'd he leave your high school?

Anonymous said...

Hop off Joakim's nads and come play with your twin's...mine :).

Anonymous said...

The only reason I wrote this is because I know the guy personally. It was just something I was thinking about, so I put it on here. In addition, I think great big men are a special fraternity within the NBA. As we all know, almost every great NBA team has been built around a top flight big man. Obviously, I hope my boy becomes this, even if it is unlikely.

I am sorry if any of you were hoping for another post dedicated to the author trying to be the moral conscience of America.

Anonymous said...

My idiot son ladies and gentlemen...

Because I made a commitment to Isiah," Dolan told the station. "And I made a commitment that the whole team feels, and a commitment to a strategy. And when you make a commitment, a commitment's a commitment."

I knew I should have used protection..

Anonymous said...

Trying to make fun of someone for writing about an American tragedy on a sports blog?

Do you have no soul?

Anonymous said...

I retract my insult of the post from yesterday. I assumed that the person pretending to be joakim was relaxo. On this blog you should (and are) be able to say wat u want without ridicule from other bloggers. That was my point.

If readers want to ridicule, I am all good with that. I should not have assumed that of you relaxo and I apologize. You did what I do with posts and spoke from your heart and about what was on your mind. Good job, and next time I will not attack without knowing the deal first.

Anonymous said...

Haha, my clever ploy of seriouslar worked! Genius! Bow before me!

And seriously neal, stop blowing me