Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Little Things

I don't know about you guys, but one of the great things about the mundane and monotonous lives that the "9-5er" leads is the enjoyment that can be found in the morning commute. While it is consistently difficult to get out of bed, the most common remedy that I have to these morning blues is good tunes and/or a good book. Tunes can be easy. Besides buying a new album, a new playlist on the ipizzle can do the trick. The book part is more of a challenge. There are some books that while interesting, can just be too heavy for you brain to handle at 7:30AM on a Tuesday. Besides that, even the best of books are known to have ups and downs. Its not like you are able to just skip to the next track if you don't like it either.

In any event, this past weekend I randomly blessed myself not only with some new music, but three new books as well. The music was based purely on recommendation (plus being bored on my computer and falling into the Itunes store trap). I purchased the new White Stripes album (thanks Chopper) and the Fall Out Boy album (Katzo has been repping these guys forever). So I am good with new music for the next couple of weeks, at which time I will need to mix it up to keep the fresh morning agenda.

I purchased three books, but the one I have started with is :07 Seconds Or Less by Jack McCallum. This is about the 2005-06 Phoenix Suns and has received quite a bit of notoriety over the past 10 months or so. It is the perfect morning book (for a sports fan). Very entertaining, interesting and easy to just pick up at a random point. While it is not a book that will change your life by any stretch, it is a fun book that gives you an in depth look into an NBA locker room and the people that make it up.

While it is always kind of weird to read a book like :07 Seconds so close to the time it happened, right now seems to be the perfect time. There are so many NBA rumors flying around and the Suns seem to be in the middle of all of them. If you get nothing else from this book you will get four things....Steve Nash is a warrior, Mike D'antoni is a great coach, Shawn Marion is tremendously insecure and Amare Stoudamire is self-centered. Many people now believe that Marion and Stoudamire can't work in unison to win a title because of this dichotomy. In the same breath though, I can not say I know which one would be better to trade.

Basically though, I have ripped through 110 pages in two days. This is the kind of book that is so important for a sports fan. When we view a team we see it through fantasy goggles. We don't see personalities, but instead talent. We don't know the demeanor of a player before a game or how late he stays up at night or how hard he takes a loss. These are the reasons teams win titles. It is clear that during the 2005-06 season the Suns had and were on their way to something special. Since then they have not won that elusive title. Like I said though, from readin this book you know the framework is there for it. Now the franchise is at a crossroads and it will be very interesting to see how the proceed.

Randoms
  • KG will be traded and when its all set and done Kobe will be as well.
  • Question....Thoughts on girls using Victoria Secret bags for daily use, ie carrying gym clothes into the office, etc? I find it odd, and it is something I always notice and have been meaning to bring up.
  • Federer will win Wimbledon and the US open again this year, but he won't feel complete until he wins at Roland Garros.
  • Big up to my boy JOakim NOah. Watch his Real Sports piece this month. Very solid. Good luck.
  • LAstly, sorry I hadnt been around for a while I was very busy with work and tests, etc. This blog s gunna pick it up bigtime though.
  • Holler

STKAFI

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I sure hope this blog picks it up, just like I picked up my slaggin' left tit this morning and placed it in my 18hr bra. Now that's some serious support.

JWS said...

This week is great for a few minutes of morning television while getting ready for your day...

ESPN2 Wimbledon

Anonymous said...

Is this a sports blog or a place where you try and express how gay you really are?

Yay! Books for the morning commute!