Thursday, June 7, 2007

Spurs v. The Greats

First I would like to apologize for missing my blog spot today, my internet situation in Jersey City is questionable at best and I dont have the balls yet to bang one out at work yet.

So anyway, the Cavs are currently down 15 and treading in quick sand.
Problems I see at this point for the Cavs
1.) Lebron is not a consistent enough jump shooter at this point in his career. The spurs are playing off of him and yes he can get hot, but streaky jump shooters obviously have cold streaks as well. He is 2-13 from the field as I type this. So he realizes his jump shot is not falling, attempts to drive, lowers that big shoulder (not as broad as mine) and is drawing contact, but some of it is offensive. He has still been unselfish, both besides Gooden I haven't seen a guy knock down a jump shot.

2.) I don't know what they are going to do with Tony Parker. At one point he had 18 pts, 16 of them in the paint. He is getting in there at will. Hughes is hurt (and overrated) and cannot stay with him. Snow gives you so little on offense that you can't afford to have him out there. I guess the responsibility falls on Gibson.

Anyway, enough of that because anyone watching can see the same things I just saw... what I would like to talk about next is something I heard being discussed on the radio today. They were debating how these Spurs would stack up against some of the best teams of the past 25 years.

On Mike and the Mad Dog, Chris was saying that they wouldn't take a game from any of those Laker or Celtic teams. The depth that those teams had, sometimes 5 double digit scorers, others had Hall of Famers galore. I mean I look at the Spurs as a whole and I can see where one would say they don't have the horses to compete with teams stacked like Parish, Bird, Mchale, Johnson, Ainge, etc or Magic, Worthy, Green, Cooper, Kareem, etc

However... like those teams, the Spurs truly are a great "team". Also, besides being a great team, they have that "guy" in Duncan. It doesn't matter what team in history you put out there, Duncan will get his. And I'm starting to believe Parker is somewhat underrated. Sure, it may just be me in the moment saying that, but he year after year leads point guards in scoring in the paint, he has a solid jump shot and is quick as hell. Spurs have proven they can play different tempos and different styles. Bowen may be the premier perimeter defender of an era, and Ginobili has to be up there with one of the better 2nd/3rd fiddles. He may even be considered to be a first fiddle when it comes to crunch time, he seems to get to that hoop, he's a great finisher/flopper and a great foul shooter. Having a closer like that is often a separator from good teams to great.

I will throw Popovich right up there with the great coaches of all time. Don't give me the he has Duncan line, because you can't win championships without great players.

I didn't touch on any Michael Jordan teams which is always a tough argument because of how Jordan is revered. Some consider him unbeatable. And at times he may have been. Bulls never had that low post guy, and Duncan surely would have given them trouble. Pippen/Ginobili would have been great to watch. Not sure how the Bulls would have kept Parker at bay. One thing is for sure I would have loved to seen Bowen try and guard MJ... God I hate Bowen

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you kidding? THat kid Duncan would never stay wit me. And my boy BJ Armstrong would lock Paker DOWN!!

Anonymous said...

Dad, you sucked! But you can't stop MJ!

Anonymous said...

I agree with you that you don't win without great players and any so-called great coach had great players...(Phil Jackson - MJ...Shaq...Kobe, Red Auerbach - Russell..Cousy, Riley - Shaq...Magic...Kareem)

Just would like to say that the Pistons are the only team I can think of winning without a first ballot hall of famer...

And I hate the Pistons!