Monday, June 25, 2007

The Kid is Back

The recent post by my fellow blogger, Ice Cold, got me thinking about the best in baseball. Always a highly debated argument whether it be best closer, best fastball, most clutch; there is little doubt that the possibilities are absolutely endless. While considering the possibilities of an article, I flipped on late night sports center and there was my answer, Ken Griffey Jr. The most electric position player of my young lifespan as a baseball fan. Now, while I did have the oppurtunity to watch Ozzie Smith flip around on the baseball diamond along with others when I was young, it isnt like I remember anything about the experience. Ken Griffey was and is just flat out exciting, the original "the kid", every year he gets hurt but at the same time, every year there is a moment or three where everyone says to themselves . . . The Kid is back. I cannot think of another streak of this magnitude, hurt every year, sometimes severely and yet when he comes back, we aren't suprised. Most oft injured stars never return to form, (see Nomar), but Griffey is just too good, better than bonds, better than Arod. He was the perfect player in every way. The sweetest swing, the greatest fielder. Everything. When Junior is in town, you see him play and it is electric, everytime, whether you witness domination, like last night, or an 0-4 with 2 ks. Everytime up to the plate is exciting.

One quick note on this, I have never witnessed a more electric sports figure, more polarizing, more dominant when watching him on his game live than Pedro Martinez. I have never witnessed anything like Fenway Park back in the day, watching Pedro dominate the competition. At this point, I dont see anything coming close but I'll leave the door slightly ajar.

Now is Griffey the most electric player today? No he isn't, there is no chance, on a daily basis, I am sure that Big Papi in fenway, Reyes, perhaps on his way, in NY and Jeter in NY command more respect and fan noise. But there is something extra about Griffey. And frankly, if you do not get that warm, all is right with the baseball world feeling when you or another remarks that "The Kid is back", if only for a few games, then you are missing out on my favorite under-rated, annual, guaranteed moment of the baseball summer.

No comments: