Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Waaay Jose!

I can honestly say that this might be the weirdest spring training that I have ever had as a Mets fan. The Mets dominated the entire National League the entire season, only to lose to a team in the playoffs that won a total of 83 games in the regular season. Overall, the season was a great success and they are bringing back every main piece from the team that was one game away from the World Series. I should be very excited about this, but I'm not.

There are about six guys on the Mets roster who should be (prolly are) collecting Social Security. I admit that joke is corny, but all I am saying is that the Mets are old. It really sucks. I'm sorry, but I am not excited for Tom Glavine and Orlando Hernandez to be the first two pitchers in the rotation. I honestly think that Julio Franco is Jose Reyes' dad (back in the day Franco could run). The guy is close to 50. Besides that, they got Moises Alou, Jose Valentin and Shawn Green. While I have not seen much of Alou yet, he is 40 years old and was considered injury prone when he was 30. Valentine and Green looked so washed up last October that it forced me to keep recycling my Dads' old joke that my Grandmother could swing harder than that.

Basically the age thing bothers me, especially when the Mets have 21 year old Lasting Milledge ready to step in and see if he can play everyday. The other major thing that bothers me is the pitching staff. Basically on paper it sucks and is injury riddled (Riddle me this...You have two coins that make up 30 cents and one is not a nickel..). Anyway, since I distracted you I might as well segway away from my negativity and hate. The Mets may have the best 3-4-5 hitters in baseball and have a tremendously young and talented left side of the infield. They have a bunch of talent in the minors both pitching-wise and in the outfield. What I am consumed with though is two words...Jose Reyes (disclaimer: I am about to ride a 23 year old mans nuts not only because he is a Met but because he is my keeper in fantasy baseball).

Reyes may be the most physically gifted player in all of baseball. First of all he is not a small guy. He is 6'1" and 200 lbs. He may be the fastest player in the game and has a rocket for an arm that he seems to unleash with just a flick of the wrist. He has average power, which seems to only be increasing as he gets older. He is a switch hitter and is gradually improving his plate discipline. Last season his walks jumped to 53 from 27 in 2005. Did I mention he is only 23 years old?

Reyes will bat leadoff in the Mets line-up which is perfect since he has such great speed. As I said, his plate dicipline is improving which will help him as a lead-off hitter through getting on base more. While Spring Training does not mean much, he has 10 steals, four homers, eight walks and only four strikeouts so far. While that is a small sample, considering how well he played last season and his age (23 ladies and gentlemen), it is not crazy to think he could perform at somewhere close to that level. Look at his stats from last season, watch him play a couple games and tell me if you think a .320 AVG .390 OBP 25 HRs and 75 SBs is out of the question. He is a guy that fills up the stat sheet. In that line-up he will score over 120 runs easy. In addition, he is in the conversation for best defensive shortstop in baseball. He has tremendous range, has cut down on the routine errors that plagued him early in his career and throw absolute peas (or pee if you prefer) to first.

When I turn on a Mets game, no matter what the time in the season or the situation in the game I am always excited by one thing, Jose Reyes. I want to see what he will do next. It is a great position to be in for a fan. So with all the positives and negatives on the Mets at this point, as long as Reyes is guarding shortstop I am happy. I believe that he is the most important player on the Mets and that his numbers will put him up in the top three in MVP. Obviously MVPs are often given in a subjective manner, but for a player of his style to even be in the discussion shows his true uniqueness and potential greatness.

Derek Jeter

I am a big time Mets fan, but over the years I have developed an admiration for Derek Jeter. While some of my fellow Met fans find this repulsive, I can't help it. I do not like it, but it is just how I feel. With that being said, I have to address something that has been bothering me for a long time. The fact that Derek Jeter has won three straight Gold Gloves is flat out ridiculous. As a defensive shortstop, Jeter is the best at fielding pop-ups, has his "signature" play deep in the hole and makes the routine look effortless. In the same breath though, his range on groundballs are so bad that grounders in the hole that oher shortstops get in front of, Jeter makes his jump throw and balls up the middle, Jeter consistently does not reach. Do I think Jeter is a good defensive shortstop? Yes. Is he the best in the American League? No. Off the top of my head I will put Orlando Cabrera of the Anaheim Angels and Alex Gonzalez then of the Boston Red Sox over Jeter for the 2006 Gold Glove.

Range form a shortstop is something that I grew up watching more than others. Unfortunately when I was 13, the Mets had a rookie shortstop at the same time that Jeter was playing his rookie year in the Bronx. That Mets SS was named Rey Ordonez. While Ordonez could never hit his way out of a paper bag (and to this day I am embarred by saying he would be a better player eventually than Jeter), he was a flat-out amazing fielder. When I say this, I mean it as watching someone play on an EVERY DAY BASIS, but I have never anyone play a better shortstop. In his prime, (three straight Gold Gloves) which did not last long because he couldn't hit and got injured, he had more range than anyone I have ever seen. He would get to balls on the 2nd baseman side of 2nd base and still get to the balls deep in the hole. In addition, he once had an errorless streak of over 90 games and had four total errors in 1999. My point is, I took it all for granted. In 2000 he got injured and the Mets traded for Mike Bordick to play short. He was a solid defensive player, but no Ordonez. Every game basically I would find myself getting pissed because a ball got through the infield that Ordonez would usually scoop up. Range is something you do not notice until you suddenly gain or lose it. While Jeter is a fantastic ball player and a good defensive SS, I promise you his range is not that of others.

Oh, and its no coincidence that his Gold Glove years came when AROD went to short because AROD was a much better defensive shortstop and ARODs' range at third has helped Jeters' performance at SS as well.

Sangia

Lastly, I just want to make my case for Sangia to be kicked off of American Idol. He sucks sucks sucks as a singer and is so dumb when he talks. He looks like a douchebag and sounds like a six year old girl. I think its fair to say that Sangia has a Mangina. Anyway, he forgot his words this week and if he is not voted off then you know something is up.

Ozzie

I am sure Ozzie Smith was better and his highlight reels are sick, but I never got to watch him on a daily basis as I did with Ordonez. If I did, then I may feel just as strong or stronger about him.

Lastly...

I only brought up Jeter because I thought of him when I mentioned Reyes as one of the best defensive shortstops in the game today. I am by no means trying to compare Jeter and Reyes (yet) and recognize that Jeter is a Hall of Famer and Reyes is still in just the very early years of his career. Did I mention Reyes is 23 (Jeter is 32).

STKAFI

12 comments:

KatzoRelaxo said...

Best 3-4-5 hitters in the game?

Beltran, Delgado, Wright?
ARod, Giambi, Matsui?

I'll take the latter, thanks.

Also, .320 BA, .390 OBP, 25 HR, and 75 SB's are out of the question.

Lastly, Sangia is horrific, however, as I have been saying for weeks, as long as his sister wears the jiggle shirt of hers and the producers continue to show her every 10 minutes, I will vote for him through the finals.

JWS said...

I know your head was in the clouds with Reyes fantasy's and rightfully so, but what's the Mets starting rotation looking like?

I can definitely see Reyes maturing into a MVP caliber player, but I could say the same for Wright.. which may for the next decade hurt both their chances to win a MVP. But hey, this is a problem everyone would love to have with their team.

Jeter may or may not deserve those Gold Gloves but how about we mention the HIGHWAY ROBBERY of him losing out on the MVP last year.

IceCold said...

Wow, katzo....you are dumber than I thought. That isn't even the Yankee 3-4-5. Abreu bats third in their line-up. No matter what combination, I would still put Beltran/Delgado/Wright on their level without a doubt.

Anonymous said...

mets 3-4-5 is very good.

i hate the SOX but what about ortiz, manny, and drew ? depending on drews impact this year that could be a runaway winner.

What about the other sox...dye, konerko, thome? an aging trio but fantastic production last year.

KatzoRelaxo said...

You are right, thank you for correcting my mistake.

Abreu, Arod, Giambi.

Which is actually better than the 3-4-5 I had, so I also thank you for helping to prove my point.

Side note, please come up with your own lines and stop stealing mine from the fantasy baseball message board, you're better than that.

IceCold said...

Fair point on the line stealing..

Concerning Abreu...he hit 15 HRS comined in Philly and New York last season....he is either 45 years old or 145lbs. You could hit more than that playing in those two parks Relaxo (note Relaxo is a lefty just as Abreu)!!

Anonymous said...

is jeter's range really that bad??? i don't think so... he's amazing at making that backhanded play between short and third throwing off his backfoot to get runner... i suppose the argument could be made that if he had better range he could plant and throw and have to make a less complicated play...

photo:

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/PHO/AAGR061~Derek-Jeter-2005-Fielding-Action-Posters.jpg

anyways, i think the gold glove is justified. cabrera and gonzalez, you serious with them? at the very least he deserves it as a consolation prize bc, like jojo isosceles previously mentioned, he deserved the MVPPP...

one excellent point neil made, jeter wouldn't have won 3 consecutive gold gloves if arod was a shortstop... although, arod's fielding has become suspect to say the least since moving to ny, but how can you tell what can be attributed to him becoming a worse fielder technically and a weaker player mentally...

REAL QUICK...

bearcuse, no one knew you were talking about my mom in your miserable, i-wonder-why-girls-are-attracted-to-ugly-athletes-with-money article. also, your sister hooks with this guy:

http://seminoles.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/dunbar_emmanuel00.html

TRUE STORY

sanjaya needs to go... andy samberg spoofs on SNL are great:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXXQ7bi8kFs

neil, would you argue that the mets lineup is better than the yanks? if so, this needs to be debated before the season gets started... jeter in the 2 spot and cano 7 or 8 depending oh where posada hits.... amazinnnng... who will bat second for the mets this season? endy chavez??? lastings spilledge??? yikes....

Anonymous said...

If you are (or were until the AI God that is Chris Daughtry got screwed) an American Idol superfan, you may have read some interesting articles about Sanjaya and his ride into the Idol top 10.

First, think about the fact that he is in the top 10, which means that he will be on the season six cd as well as be touring with the finalists this summer. Ugh.

Second, there are many groups commonly referred to as "Fanjayas" that are attempting to make a mockery of AI (again, something that was already achieved by the gray-haired fuckstick last season). Anyway, these Fanjayas are all voting for him to piss people off - so he keeps advancing even though everyone knows he is bi / curious and sucks balls.

JWS said...

Pavano Opening Day Starter!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I like the imagination. However, I do think reyes and wright are awesome and reyes will get the respect he earned. I don't believe the mets have a shot in the playoffs unless Manaya pulls some big moves mid season.
As for Jeter I totally agree that his range is less than desirable, but he did diserve the MVP last season and I am sure he will trade that golden label on his glove for it! How about Wong on the DL? I don't like it one bit..
As far as the idol kid. He has all of gay america voting for him. I don't think he is going anywhere.

Lets get this baseball season started already!!!!

smurphhhh baggins said...

I hate to say it but if Drew stays healthy and doesn't cry, the Red Sox will have the best 3-4-5 in the majors.

Who cares if Jeter isn't the best fielding SS or best hitting SS in the game? If you want a shortstop in the Majors right now, you take Jeter.

Can we stop talking about Sanjaya and perhaps give Philippi Sparks offspring some love? Sanjaya has wasted enough of our time.

Anonymous said...

Seriously though, is it just me or are Neal and Sangia twins seperated at birth.

It had to be said. The resemblance is uncanny.