Wednesday, March 28, 2007

A-Rod's Revenge

This will be my last post before the Cards and Mets open up the season on Sunday so I figure a predictions column is appropriate

I just wrote for 20 minutes going through the division but I got bored by my own column so I'm going to start over

In no particular order I will go through my thoughts on this upcoming season

Arod will respond like the great ones do. This is his make or break season in NY, between his contract options and his relationship with the Media and Fans. I foresee MVP like numbers from him, I think he answers the critics, answers his post season demons and finally wins a title

I think the Tigers magic runs out and the Twins win that division going away. Morneau and Mauer will only get better, and there is no reason to believe that Santana will slow down. If only Liriano wasn't out for the year, this would be a no brainer.

Mike Piazza makes Billy Beane look good and hits and hits all season long. Without having to crouch behind the plate, he adds depth to that A's lineup and hits 30 HR's +

I see the Mets struggling this year. I'm not saying they won't make the playoffs, but they rolled over the National League a year ago. Alou and Green are guarantees to spend time on the DL. Their pitching could not be more fragile right now then it already is. El Duque cannot be expected to pitch a full season. I expect Pedro to comeback earlier then expected. My trustee colleague says August at the earliest, I'm going to with right around the All Star break.

How bout Bonds??? He's had a good spring, he has to be immune to steroids talk by now. I think he'll get his record and retire at season's end. Giants are going nowhere, and if he does not retire, he will not play for a different team next year.

Dice-K will be the real deal and I'm interested to see where he goes in this Friday's fantasy draft. We know those Boston guys are going to jump on him early.

AL MVP:
Vernon Wells (sleeper pick Vlad-i know not a real sleeper, but he barely gets mentioned anymore)

AL CY Young: (sleeper pick Dice-K)
Santana

NL MVP: (sleeper pick Jose Reyes)
Soriano

NL Cy Young: (sleeper pick Ben Sheets)
Zambrano

I almost went with the double-double Wells-Halladay, Soriano-Zambrano... but since four #1's still can't make it to the Final Four, i can't boldly predict a double-double

I dont know if they are considered rookies (one def is), but Delmon Young and Alex Gordon will make splashes in their first full seasons

Can anyone else still not get over Gil Meche getting $55 million dollars?!?!?!?

Will King Felix finally get it? I dont know but until he does I think we should reserve that nickname for King James over in Cleveland.

Speaking of the King... check out the new house he is building http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/basketball/nba/03/27/bc.bkn.lebron.shouse.ap/index.html?cnn=yes

NCAA:
Florida over UCLA
Georgetown over OSU

Florida repeats!


Better backdoor offense Georgetown or Union? Give me those Dutchmen
Who do I want taking the last shot... Lewis or Afflalo.... I'm taking Lewis
Running my team... Give me Conley over Collison
Coaching my team... In this order... Donovan, Howland, JT3, Motta (no disrespect to any of the 4 here)
Best game remaining... OSU-GTOWN

Did I mention UNC cost me $1000???


KNICKS ARE DEAD IN THE WATER, I WILL NOT MENTION THEM IN ANY POST UNTIL THIS SEASON IS OVER (unless they make the playoffs)

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

vernon wells for mvp? not so fast my friend... you're better than that, jojo, but i like the bold pick... i think the following players are more likely preseason candidates than wells:

1. papi
2. arod
3. sizemore
4. mauer
5. morneau
6. santana???? (he's kind of unstoppable and may be thrown in the mix)

i love the piazza prediction... he'll definitely put up good #s... furthermore, frank thomas resurrecting his career supports the argument... would piazza be available in fantasy as a catcher or just "other" like hafner?

what are your thoughts on the NL central: cards or cubbies? prior is starting off the season in trip A... not a good sign... i pick the cards in a close race...

wild card to the phils and sox in the AL...

can't wait for the oden-hibbert showdown

KatzoRelaxo said...

NEWS FLASH: Tyson will be taking Dice-K with the first pick. He's has been informed to do so by Zackybuns.

Sorry all you Beantown homers.

JWS said...

Yes Piazza has catcher status..
If Papi hasn't won an MVP by now he won't win one

If I ever have to say Just Morneau is our two time reigning MVP, just shoot me

I like the Cubs in the Central. I mean if they can get anything from Prior or Wood and I mean anything I would be more confident picking them

Anonymous said...

I cant believe how much Neal looks exactly like Sanjia.

Wow

IceCold said...

Call me Chris Richardson, call me BLake (Guy), even call me Paul Stacy, but newver NEVER call me Sangaya...

You guys are so off on Mornaeu. There is no way you can say Jeter was "robbed" by Morneau winning. Their stats were close and they were both on division winning teams. Morneau had a ton of big hits in September and Jeter was the consistant force throughout the year. If you think Jeter deserved, I respect that, he would have been #2 (to Morneau) on my ballot. At the same time though, I felt Ortiz deserved it over Arod the year before.

Plus, Morneau was a bigtime prospect coming up from the minors, so if he wins multiple MVPs its all good. It's not like he was some nobody, he has been hyped for years. The hate is so unjustified and ridiculous.

No chance Cubs win the central. Zero, zilch, nada. Brewcrew is gunna take that division, if not the Cards (boring).

Anonymous said...

Neal is right!

Do you know how many game changing/saving plays I made in the field that year?! I mean sheesh, I'm a beast with the leather and obviously the MVP is all about hitting and nothing to do with fielding, winning games and being a great all around baseball player. That's why there are so many pitchers that win the MVP, DUH!

Neal is so smart.

JWS said...

It's Phil Stacey, not Paul Stacey

Wow this blog has taken off, we got Vernon and Papi reading??

Anonymous said...

Pitchers HAVE won the MVP though. It takes an exceptional year, but it is something that has happened on more than one occasion. That season Papi had such an incredible year that he deserved it.

Look, I got robbed in 1999 when Pudge got it over me. MVP is about the player and no matter if he just can hit, just can pitch, or is a more complete player it is about his influence on the team and the game. Papi's hitting (especially in the clutch) was on such another level that he deserved it, just like I did when I had maybe the best season for a pitcher in the last 30 years in 1999 and got ROBBED.

Anonymous said...

Hi, i'm Neal... I'm bias towards my Mets, Tom Brady and Kobe

I don't really think Morneau deserved to win, I just want to say it to piss of those Jankee fans

Anonymous said...

Hey guys, great blog by the way.

I don't think Mr. Ortiz was saying that no pitcher has ever won the MVP (obviously), especially because I am one who has. He was just saying that it not only takes an exceptional year for a pitcher or DH to win an MVP, nut their stats have to be so far and away better than any other position player that you almost are forced to give them the MVP.

Yes, David had a monster year in '05 but Arods numbers were also very, very good, maybe not quite as good (especially in the clutch), but definitely comparable and deserved of an MVP award. And because he plays in the field (a gold glover for that matter) that put him over the top.

If Arod's numbers weren't close to Papi's, then yes, he without a doubt deserved the award. But as I said earlier, for a pitcher or DH to win an MVP, their numbers have to be far and away better than any everyday player competitor.

P.S. It will feel great to throw on that pinstripe jersey again in June and help the Bombers to another World Series championship.

Anonymous said...

Actually never mind, Arod is a douche and his creepy purple lips are preventing me from signing with the yanks

Anonymous said...

actually, nevermind again. i forgot that i love purple lips and matching skin. thats why i'm friends with jordar.

Anonymous said...

Wow my purple lips are so creepy

Aladdin Sane said...

yeo, who's in for Cubs v. Mets 5/15, monday night on espn?