Monday, March 19, 2007

Allow Myself to Introduce....Myself

For those of you logging on to this blog, you are about to experience the inaugural post of "Beer Sandwiches." By that title, basically what we are trying to say is that this is going to be a blog where we talk about stuff that guys like and girls may find funny. We will focus on sports, but you never know when a TV, music other random reference will slip out. We each are in our early 20's and provide unique perspectives on sports. While one may be more knowledgeable on baseball, another may be more of an expert on basketball. You will hear commentary both from a historical and technical perspective. In addition, I hope there will be an ample amount of humor to keep the energy going. Most importantly, we will try to have as much fun as we can, and hope that you all enjoy any entertainment that we attempt to provide you.

Now without further ado....The Beer Sandwiches Players:

Ice Cold: Yes, I am the same Ice Cold from the Nealtsports Perspective (nealtsports.blogspot.com). While that blog will live on in a much more limited capacity, my main efforts will be geared towards Beer Sandwiches. While I had a lot of fun writing the Nealtsports Perspective, it got the the point where I could not maintain it at the level that was needed. With that in mind, I decided that I would start a new blog where the writing duties could be shared amongst others. I thought of the people that a) were the most knowledgeable sports minds I knew, b) were frequent contributors to Nealtsports and c) were people that I communicated with often and could organize this new blog best with. The three people I share this new venture with are just that. They have a passion for sports and will do their best, as will I.

As for as you that are unfamiliar with Nealtsports, I am a sports nut. Upon reading me, you will see that I have certain views that stay constant. Number one, when in doubt look at the championships. I have a problem paying full respect to players who have not won a title. Five to seven years ago, I was one of the few of my friends that picked Duncan over Garnett. At this moment, I would still go with Brady over Manning (even with his recent title). Number 2 is that what counts in my mind is what a team or player does when it counts. While Roger Clemens has all the wins and Cy Youngs, I care about who I would rather have in a big game with my life on the line. Would you rather have Curt Schilling or Clemens? These are questions that I feel transcend sports. I will always come back to these and others.

My favorite teams are the Mets, Giants, Rangers and Knicks. The teams I dislike most are the Yankees, Eagles, and Celtics. I like Phil better than Tiger and I don't like Duke or Notre Dame. I think the Designated Hitter should be abolished and that the BCS sucks. To me, there is nothing better than baseball, but I have a soft spot for the other sports mentioned, as well as tennis. I grew up in New York City and I feel that it is a "baseball town." I also feel though that NYC is the heart of the basketball world. As a result I love the Knicks, but I hate what Isiah and Dolan have done with them. Enough of this though. You will learn it all as we go along. You will agree with me sometimes and think I am an idiot other times. We love your feedback and will continue to write what we feel.

My first post will be one Wednesday...

Da Bocker: By way of introduction, I am Jordan, good friends with the other writers of this blog. I will be bringing you the perspective of a sports addict and NY fan. I catch a lot of flack for supporting two teams in each sport, Knicks and Nets, Yankees and Mets, Jets and Giants (each in that order), but my allegiances are there and unwavering. I plan on bringing as an objective opinion as I can but at times my passion for a particular player or team will be overpowering. I have been reading Ice Cold's blog since its inception and I think this group blogging should be a great read and keep everyones interest because each one of us will have a different style and different insight. I look forward to everyones responses, feedback and opinions of their own. My inaugural posting will be this Thursday, and every Thursday after that.

Katzo Relaxo: Relax. It's Katz.
Having grown up in the tri-state area with the rest of these clowns, one would think I would have NY pride written all over me. Well I don't. Going through my adolescence only hearing about Yankees this, and Knicks that, was one of the more annoying things a kid in the NY area who didn't have any fondness for any of these teams could go through. I was wrong. Going to college in upstate Connecticut and listening to Boston fans make stupid, ridiculous arguments about their beloved Red Sox and bitch and moan all day about the Yankees was actually much, much worse.

While I follow and watch every sport very closely (with the exception for hockey, although I will watch the playoffs because I find the NHL playoffs very entertaining), baseball, America's pastime, is my passion. My team, ever since I could remember is the Atlanta Braves. Like many young sports fans, my dad took me to my first game at the ballpark, and that ballpark happened to be the famous Yankee Stadium. My father is a Yankee fan and I went to many games as a youngster, so as much as I just complained before about the Bronx Bombers, I will always have soft spot for them.

As for the NFL, the Miami Dolphins, mostly because of Dan Marino, are my troops. To this day, I believe and will argue that Dan the Man is the greatest pure passer to ever play the game, plus he was phenomenal in Ace Ventura Pet Detective (although I must say I have a feeling Peyton Manning will be taking over this title in a matter of time, the passer title that is). The Orange and Teal have been extremely frustrating to follow over the recent years as you might know, but a change is a coming.

I do not have a favorite NBA team (until 2009 when the Nets move to Brooklyn, Jay-Z is the man) mostly because I think the league is a crock, but I do watch the games because the players are so talented and I believe they are the best athletes in the world, and when they want (like during the playoffs) watching the NBA can be a fascinating experience. NCAA basketball might not have the talent, but it certainly surpasses the passion and camaraderie of the NBA. My heart lies with the Uconn Huskies and to a certain extent the Maryland Terrapins. And of course, like any other true, self respecting sports fan, I HATE Duke.:
http://www.aolsportsblog.com/2007/03/14/evidently-this-is-why-duke-sucks/

As I mentioned before, I do not follow the NHL as closely as the other three major sports, which I'm sure you understand, we are in the United States for crying out loud, if you don't like spaghetti and meatballs you can get the hell out! However, living in NYC, I take the Rangers under my wing because I'm only a few blocks away from MSG and I must admit attending hockey games live can be a ton of fun, plus I used to go to games as a kid with the old man. On another note, of all the teams that are in New York, and out of all the sports, I believe Ranger fans, surprisingly enough, are the most loyal and most passionate of all NYC fans.

I'm sure you will find my posts to be different, at least from the other contributors of the blog, because 1) I do not love all NY sports teams and b) I am much funnier and better looking. I will also do my best to keep my posts as objective as possible.

Full Braves preview, complete with a couple tidbits of each of the other NL East teams tomorrow, except maybe the Nationals because they are an embarrassment.

Enjoy the blog.

Smurphhh baggins: I'll have to give most of the credit to Icecold for this one. I had never really been a big blog guy until I started following his religiously this past fall. Writing has never really appealed to me. I'd much rather read about sports than write about them, just like I would rather play a sport than watch one. However, after the first few weeks I loved the comments that would fly around after one of Icecold's posts. It wasn't just the funny comments or Sunny's ridiculous comments, but how well thought out many of the points were. It kept me intrigued throughout the day, which is important when your job just isn't doing it for you.

So then this idea was hatched that we could split the blog four ways. These three other guys writing with me are probably three of the most intense sports fans that I know. Two of them are also extremely overweight. I'm a recent graduate of a small liberal arts college in upstate NY. Played basketball with one of the other writers there and was in a fraternity with 2 others. For as long as I can remember, sports have been the one thing in my life I was most passionate about. Whether it was playing them, watching them, or arguing about them I always cared so much. I'm actually pretty excited to see where we can take this blog and hopefully we can do some good things with it.

Let's do this!!!

6 comments:

cjeasy said...

Well let me say that I am honored to leave the first comment on the new blog.

I am honored to leave the first comment on the new blog.

I just printed out your intros and read them from the bathoom. Its ok though, cause my office has these amazing stalls where the door goes floor to ceiling and each stall is like its own room. Hypothetically, if you were really hungover one day, you could even lay down on the floor of the bathroom stall and use a roll of toilet paper as the pillow - and no one would notice.

Anyway, I read the intros and I think this blog is a great idea. Mostly because I was sick of reading about how icecold kept himself up at night crying about Eli.

One quick beef, if I may. All of you make the point that you will be writing objectively. What?...Why?...Relaxo is gonna try and write about his bracket pics and not have UConn in the Final Four? I mean in the NIT of course...I mean...wait. Regardless, I'll believe objectivity when I see it.

Anyway, great idea, I look forward to everyone's posts (mostly smurph), good luck boys.

Rambone said...

Amazing. Sounds a lot like the written version of the sports reporters w/ Jordan starring as Jason Whitlock.

Aladdin Sane said...

wait, so is one of the contributors also running the point for the sweet-16 dancin' Butler Bulldogs?

I think we need a DNA test for Murph, or should I just call you A.J. Graves?

Ian said...

Hi my name is Ian. I like the Knicks and Giants. I also like the Yankees LOL. I also like some other sports :)

One time I pissed in Katz's beer and didn't tell him.

smurphhhh baggins said...

If by AJ Graves, you mean Nate Funk from Creighton, whom was referred to as "Brad Pitt with a jump shot" then, yes he is one of the bloggers.

downey said...

hot sh!t gentlemen.

rather than taking a cheap shot at katz or jojo i will let those two embarrass themselves thru their writing.

can the fans get a little march madness coverage asap? skip the obvious unc winnning it all picks and tell me what else might happen before the inevitable.