Thursday, September 13, 2007

Fenway Fandom

Heavy accents, generic sports gear, and bandwagon fans.... .oh I can't wait to go to Fenway tomorrow night. In my three years living in Boston I have probably attended close to 10 Red Sox games. I have seen comebacks, playoff losses and drama. However, the one thing I have never experienced in Fenway or Yankee Stadium, is a Yankee-Red Sox game. There are certain moments in sports where everything gets turned up a notch. A Yankee-Red Sox series in September, or for that matter any month is one of them. Does this series have playoff implications? Kind of. I'd like to think there is still a small chance at the division. But that has nothing to do with what I'm writing about.

So far, I have gone to games at Fenway against the likes of the White Sox, Blue Jays, Orioles, Mariners, etc. I have taken in the adrenaline at Fenway, and kept it inside. While others have cheered, I have sat. While others have booed, I have remained silent. I do not wear Yankee gear to Fenway while the Yankees are not playing. I will not cheer against the Red Sox, by rooting for other AL teams. I have sat in my seat respectfully, drank beers, and chatted it up like any other fan. However, Friday is a new animal.

I unsuccessfully failed to acquire a Joba Chamberlain jersey this past week. For whatever reason, they don't sell the t shirt jersey or as Bill Simmons likes to call them, then J-Jersey, for Joba yet. (ok they kind of do but I don't want to pay $31). Instead I will be wearing a Jeter, T-shirt jersey, and a white Yankee hat. It's times like these where I wish I was in NY and had access to a authentic Andy Phillips jersey. I will be cheering the Yankees on as if I was at Yankee stadium. I will certainly locate any Yankee fans in my vicinity, band together with them and become as obnoxious as possible.

The pitching matchup for Friday is Dice-K against Pettite. Any chants that you guys can think of please post in the comment section and I will be sure to use them Friday night.

Girls in Red Sox gear, pale, fat white guys in Ortiz jerseys. I can't wait. Nervous, pessimistic men in their 40s who have witnessed 5 game sweeps in Fenways, blown 13 game division leads, Aaron bleeping Boone, and more... I can't wait to get under the skin of the Red Sox nation.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pettite is a hooooooomoooooooooo...nananananananananananananananana

Anonymous said...

wait if you unsuccessfully failed then you succeeded right?

and why were you trying to fail in the first place?

Anonymous said...

Here is my lease favorite chant:

DICE K DICE K, chi chong chung, DICE K DICE K, wang wu wa, you have a slanty eyes and I had a fro, DICE K DICE K, yang yung ya, your mom has a slanty vagina and smells like a seasame seed.

Anonymous said...

did i violate you so bad in week 1 that you are now too afraid to offer your nfl picks?

Anonymous said...

put a sock in it fellas!

huh-ha!