Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Not Our Year

Maybe I am just frustrated or just pissed off. All I can tell you though is that going into this season I should have been more pumped for any Mets season of my life. More pumped than any season for any team I have rooted for in my life. I wasn't though. I felt indifferent and almost bored in Spring Training. When the Mets opened up 5-0 I got my stride and since then I have planted myself in front of the TV for every game I could. I have gotten into this season and have rooted as hard as ever. This Mets team is the most talented roster in the NL and should finish what they started last year.

But I can't get over that initial feeling. At the time I should have been most excited, I was not into it. Fast forward to tonight. Mets-Braves for a three game set at home. This pennant race is the only thing that last year was missing. Series like this are what make pennant races so wonderful. The entire momentum of a season can change on one swing. Every team from every season that went through a close pennant race will have one moment or game that they will point to that will define why they won or lost.

I know the game tonight against the Braves is only one game, but that feeling is back. Out starting pitching was brutal, our clutch run producer grounded into two rally killing double plays and the team seemed dead. The fans were restless. They feel what I feel. The thing is, the Mets all year have told us that "This is Our Year." That still may be, but right now I am afraid that this year may end up being just like all the rest.

Now the even crazier part....My feeling about the Giants right now should be of apathy. They are bringing back a shaky QB, a disliked Head Coach and are coming off one of the crazier seasons in recent memory for any team. For some reason though I am really pumped. I can;t wait for that opening game in Dallas and seeing them make a surprise move in the NFC. I honestly see them in the NFC Title game five months from now. I know this makes no sense, but who cares. The team that might win the the World Series this year has be throwing shit against the wall and the team that should go 5-11 has me as excited as ever. Don't worry, I still hate MY Knicks.

Sports!! You gotta love it!

STKAFI

The Morning After....

I am stil annoyed at my Mets, but I felt like I should address two other events from last night. I am like everyone else that I can't just turn a blind eye to the accusations and fully praise Barry Bonds for breaking the home run record. The bottom line is that he was the most feared hitter of my generation even before the steroid rumors. He had three MVPs and prompted managers such as Buck Showalter to walk him with the bases loaded intentionally just so he could not beat them. No other hitter has evoked that fear since I have been around. It sucks this steroid crap has ruined a time in baseball that in the moment was magical. It may take 15-20 years for us to fully understand what hapened during this time and to move on.

As for the Yankee game I have acouple points. First of all I hate when batters do what AROD did. I understand what the Jays did was intentional, but I am of the school that you either go after the pitcher or take your base. I hate when hitters make a big scene of taking a couple steps to the mound and yelling at the pitcher. If AROD gets hit again though, I do not think that he will be as hesitant to charge the mound.

In the same breath though, you gotta give Roger Clemens a lot of credit. He did everything exactly the right way. Waited until his team had a comfortable lead, hit the Jays best hitters and did it in the perfect spot, right in the ribs/back. He sent his message not to mess with his teammates, but he did not do it in a dirty way (ala his embarrasing drilling of Piazza in the head). Overall though, I think this is good for the Yankees because stuff like this brings a team closer and thats what the Yanks will need over this very difficult 25 game stretch coming up. We know the Jays won't forget it, but they are small potatos compared to what the Yanks have ahead of them.

Oh...and Joba Chamberlin? Electric fastball and ridonculous slider. While the Yanks will be careful about him pitching on consecutive days and coming into middle of innings, he should have an impact. His stuff is filthy and he seems to have a presense on the mound. Basically seeing him and Hughes in pinstripes makes me even more agitated when I think of Mike Pelfrey in orange and blue....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

my new stance is doing wonders!

JWS said...

good story... someone from the FAN texted Sweeny Murty (Yankees reporter) in the 5th inning "Did Clemens hit anyone yet?" and Sweeny wrote back "Not yet, pitch count is to low, wait until the 7th inning or so."

Low and behold, Clemens drilled Rios in the back. I said thank God that Clemens was on the mound, cause u know Mussina isn't gonna get anyone's back, who knows about Hughes although I suspect he would have (wants to be accepted, and seems to have that swagger on the mound)

Anonymous said...

Does anyone even read this blog anymore???

I love cock!