Friday, August 10, 2007

I Swear, It's Monday today. No Really. Its Monday

Today is normally Guest Post Friday, and because Curtin missed his post this week, he will be his own guest. Kind of like he is his own girlfriend and likes to have sex with himself by using only a Poland Spring water bottle, six paper clips, and a jar of peanut butter...Anywho:

Id like to start off today with an apology, I missed my post on Monday for work reasons and that cannot be helped at this point. (As an update, my invite was "expired" and I have to have katz post as punishment or something)

I have in recent weeks, struggled to come up with good topics on a weekly basis. This, to me, seems absurd considering how often that I talk about sports to pretty much anyone who will listen. The problem is making it interesting, making it a good read, and frankly it is impossible to write something interesting in an hour or in a quick post the night before. But enough griping.

Now for a little nostalgia. When I was a kid in Pittsburgh, just being exposed to the world of sports without the knowledge that I would eventually be the award winning blogger that you are reading here today, I was Barry Bonds' biggest fan. He was the greatest that I had ever seen, and perhaps the best I will ever see. The thing was, I think he was more impressive before the assault on Hank Aaron. He was amazing, he could run, hit for power, field the ball. He was amazing. Sure things may have changed in San Francisco and the people that remain stallwart in the stance that he did not take steroids(or just was duped into taking them) are kidding themselves. Barry Bonds knowingly took steroids, I am convinced of this fact. As did everyone, well not everyone, but you know what I mean. In the late nineties to the early years of this millenium, steroids was like an epidemic, anybody who was anybody was doing it. And why not? If I was a AAA player, struggling to make the bigs, you had better believe that I would take steroids to get to the big show, there was no efficient way to test for them, so why not? The health risks are Barry's and Barry's alone to deal with, he made the decision to become the greatest player alive, no matter the cost. I can certainly blame him for that but he did succeed right?

Now comes the Hall of Fame argument, should he be inducted? Absolutely, there is no doubt in my mind that Barry Bonds should have his own room in the Hall. He was the greatest player that many of us have ever seen, sure it was due to a heavy pharmacutical influence but that is a fact. Even with steroids, hitting 757 homeruns is absolutely ridiculous, its an insane amount of Home Runs. Barry Bonds should be enshrined. And there should be a giant blurb right next to him about the steroid era. The thing I never can understand with the guys that vote on the Hall of Fame is their reasoning for excluding these type of guys that cheated the game. Steroids, similar to the Pete Rose scandal, I think should be remembered. Pete Rose is another story sure, but anytime you exlcude an amazing player for transgressions after their playing career is stupid. Anyway Barry Bonds needs to be remembered the way that the steroids should be remembered. While I stopped being a Barry Bonds superfan around '96, there is a part of me that is happy that I got to see the greatest Home Run hitter in the History of the game, 'Roids or no 'Roids.


Quick Thoughts
A: Still not worried about the Yankees. Its great when there is all this momentum and then after one day, the lead is back to 6.
B: I do not care what people say about the championship hopes for the Celtics, my season tickets got a lot more fun
C: I missed last Modays post and these kids may Axe me, Murph style, so If I dont see ya. PEACE KIDS!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey, remember when this stellar pair of middle infielders and the rest of the squad would kick the crap out of your beloved pirates including bonds and bonilla every year in the playoffs in the early '90s?

that was fun.

Anonymous said...

I was the oldest man alive the second I was born

JWS said...

So in order to remember steroids Barry Bonds needs to be enshrined?

Anonymous said...

Hey!! Don't forget about meeee!!

Anonymous said...

i love steriods

Anonymous said...

To do steroids for the back hair for the sole purpose of balancing out my body hair.

Also for the rage. I do it for the rage first and foremost