Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Why do I gamble?

In all honesty, I cannot remember for the life of me the last time I won a bet, a poker game, even a simple game of Rock, Paper, Scissor (and I used to be NASTY at RPS). Now that I really think about it, I believe the last time I actually made a correct call was some random Colts game in the middle of the NFL season last fall.

Yet, no matter how many times in a row I lose, I continually think I know what the outcome of a certain sporting event, game or random bet will be. The most recent incident was the Oscar De la Hoya/Floyd Mayweather fight this past Saturday.

Truth be told, I had the winner the entire time up until the morning of the fight. That was my first mistake. For weeks leading up to the fight I was in Mayweather's corner, he was the badass, he was the punk, he was the favorite, he was undefeated, and in my gut he was going to win. All characteristics of a winning bet.

Then, the morning of the fight, hungover, me and a buddy of mine went through the entire De la Hoya/Mayweather 24/7 mini series on HBO and I got caught up in the fake, intentional hype. De la Hoya had been there before, he had fought big fights, won and lost to bigger opponents, as well as faster, quicker ones. Mayweather was the one moving up a weight class which is more difficult than some people give credit for, and De la Hoya was much bigger, stronger, and had more experience. In addition, Oscar was the underdog in this fight which means more bang for my buck. The show portrayed De la Hoya as the professional, and Mayweather as a scared, inexperienced fighter. After being artificially influenced by HBO, I now felt the smart money was with Oscar. Plus, it was on Cinco de Mayo...how could a Mexican lose? Oh and by the way, I know nothing about boxing.

As for the fight, we all know what happened. After pregamming with Coronas, margaritas, tequila shots, nachos, and quesadillas during the under cards, we were all very much into it. The fight was pretty entertaining but at the same time, for the most hyped fight in five years, it was also somewhat uneventful. Mayweather controlled the pace for most of the 12 rounds. De la Hoya obviously packed a much more powerful punch but had a difficult time connecting. No knockouts, no blood, and eventually came down to a split decision with Mayweather taking home his newest belt along with some of my money.

Number one rule in gambling, always go with your gut. You would think I would have learned this by now. Fortunately, I know I won't making another wager until I head down to Baltimore for the Preakness in a couple weekends. What, you don't think I can make it till then? Wanna bet?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This was a glorified sparring session. Seriously, both of these guys worked harder in a half-hour session of 24/7. Why take a punch to the face when you can dance around and bank all that $$$$$$$$. Did either of them look even remotely tired after this was over? (in Oscar defense he did throw punches but Pretty Boy Floyd is the quickest mother fucker around)

What a let down.

Anonymous said...

I am so pleased with myself after that "wanna bet" line at the end. God i am awesome

Anonymous said...

My real problem is that my gut is so big that I can't understand what its tellin me!

Anonymous said...

Guys come on. I only spent 4 pathetic hours of my life thinking of that "wanna bet" line. Genius, genius, genius!