Thursday, May 24, 2007

Ponies, Ping Pong, Pop Diesel

Preakness:
Katzo Relaxo did a great recap of the trip, but I felt the need to say something about it. I mean there can't be another scene like this on earth. No id check, cops wave you in at the front gate no matter what your age, no matter what you're carrying. You are permitted to piss all over the fence which entraps you inside the field while police officers and army dudes watch you from the other side. Fights are permitted until it gets out of hand, then the event staff runs in and breaks it up as if they just got there. If someone really misbehaves the cops take him away, meanwhile everyone throws beer cans at the cops and handcuffed kid. Eventually girls start pissing near this now infamous fence and guys walk past them saying "ew she's pooping", I happen to find this somewhat funny. Anyway it's certainly a scene that is hard to do justice unless you experience it.

Ping Pong Balls:
I was somewhat torn going into the Lottery. The longer I live in Boston the more I despise their teams. So for me, the last thing I wanted was for the Celtics to get a top two pick so that I could hear non stop for the next 4 months from the Sawwwx fans all about Kevin Durant as if he just popped onto this planet and they knew all there was to know about him. On the other hand, being in Boston i would have certainly been able to go watch a few of his games, which would have been great. Also, I would have preferred an Eastern Conference team to get one if not both of the top picks. I actually like the fit for Oden in Portland though. Ice Cold mentioned this earlier in the week, but Roy, Aldridge, Oden, Webster and Randolph (for now) form a great nucleus. One great thing I heard this year, while so many teams were tanking Roy was going out there putting up 28 pt second halfs, and playing his heart out for victories. This was a guy who was doing everything in his power to get a W, no matter if it was costing his team ping pong balls or not (Celtic fans, remember when you could have had this guy... no cheap shot Knick comments)

On the other hand, Durant in Seattle I don't love. First their is the team's instability and probably won't be in Seattle past this season. I guess this allows them to let Rashard Lewis walk, but this team is more then a few pieces away.

DUNCAN V. SHAQ
For arguments sake, let's assume for the moment the Spurs win the title and Duncan wins finals MVP. These are the two most dominant players of the past decade, and I wanted to take a look about who has had a better career.

Rookie of Year:
Duncan (1998)
Shaq (1993)

MVP:
Duncan (2002, 2003)
Shaq (2000)

NBA Finals:
Duncan (1999, 2003, 2005, 2007*** for arguments sake***)
Shaq (2000, 2001, 2002, 2006)

NBA Finals MVP's:
Duncan 3 (4*** this year)
Shaq 3

ALL NBA:
Duncan (10) 9-1st, 1-2nd
Shaq (13) 8-1st, 2-2nd, 3-3rd

All Defensive Team:
Duncan (10) 7-1st teams
Shaq (3)- 3-2nd teams

Others:
Duncan- 10 all star games
Shaq- 2 scoring titles, 14 time all star

Now I dont know who has had a better career and Duncan is five years behind Shaq. One stat that I heard recently, is that Shaq has been swept out of the playoffs 6 times. I also agree with a comment someone said (may have been Simmons), KG has missed the playoffs 2 or 3 straight years, there is just no way I could ever see a healthy Duncan led team in his prime missing the playoffs. I think this argument about who is better is a great one. Both sides have a formidable argument.... now for who is a better interview, that would make for a lousy post.


  • "Just say I’m from Somalia and I need food." — Stephen Jackson, describing his passion for winning.
  • Dampier is soft. Quote it, underline it, tape it, send it to him. Don’t ask me about that guy ever again." – Shaq
  • "And (Reggie) Evans — you talk about Vlade being a flopper? This guy is taking it to a whole new level. He goes down when the air conditioning comes on." – Rick Adelman
  • “I don’t think anything of Laura Frank. You heard me — Laura Frank. Not Lawrence. Laura . . . It’s not that I blame him, I just wish he’d go to a manly tactic and just fight me. Don’t whine. When he whines, that’s when I change his name of Lawrence Frank.” – Shaq
  • “When you are 60, hang out with 60-year-olds, not 20-year-olds. That is all I got to say about Jerry Buss.” – Shaq


And a few more Shaq ones, sorry for any repeats

* I'm like the pythagorean theorem. Not too many people know the answer to my game.

* I got somebody, that other guy, who is just as lethal. He's a little bit younger, he got a lot of proving to do, but he's just as lethal. It's my job to make him lethaler, it's my job to make him the lethalest, if that's a word ...

* I knew I was dog meat. Luckily, I'm the high-priced dog meat that everybody wants. I'm the good-quality dog meat.

* Me shooting 40% at the foul line is just God's way to say nobody's perfect

* "They shot the ball well early. What comes out of the microwave hot doesn't always stay hot. I know, because I eat bagels in the morning."
- After a 25 point comeback victory against Boston on March 16, 2006.

* I had an awful first quarter but I picked it up. To all you single guys out there, it's not how you start the date, it's how you finish it sir. A lot of people can, you know, start the date with flowers and candy, but if you don't finish the date … you know what I mean?

* I wouldn't. I would just go home. I'd fake an injury or something.
- When asked how he would defend against himself.

* "They would all say, 'You’re not like we thought you would be. You’re not as smart as we thought that you would be.'"
- When describing his MBA classmates' reaction to him.

* [Erik] Dampier is soft. Quote it, underline it, tape it and send it to him. Don't ask me about that guy, ever. You can tell him I said it. You guys try to compare him and rate him and match him up against me, but I'm telling you there's nothing there.

* The difference between those three is the Godfather trilogy. One is Fredo, who was never ready for me to hand it over to him. One is Sonny, who will do whatever it takes to be the man, and one is Michael, who if you watch the trilogy, the Godfather hands it over to Michael. So I have no problem handing it over to Dwyane.
- On his relationship with Penny, Kobe, and Dwyane respectively

* I'm sorry, who?
- When asked about his relationship with Kobe Bryant

* I could always go and have a conversation with Mr. Gates or Mr. Trump. But now that I have this (MBA), I can really have a conversation with them on the same level that they have their conversations.
- On receiving his MBA

* I can't really remember the names of the clubs that we went to.
- On whether he had visited the Parthenon during his visit to Greece

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

We all know I play when I want. When I wanted to play though, I was the most dominating player this league has seen since Wilt Chamberlain. My getting swept has just as much to do with my coach as me. Did I ever get swept when I was with Phil? Duncan has always had Popovich to drive that team come playoff time. Duncan is a great one, but if you are starting a team from scratch, you know you want me.

Duncan, Myself, Wilt, Kareem and Russell are the five greatest big men of all time.

cjeasy said...

Somebody here owes my ass a hunda dollas.

JWS said...

To be considered the best ever it shouldn't be about playing when you want... the best bring it every night, because to them everything is on the line every night they play

Shaq didn't bring it at times I believe because of health issues, and he wanted to save energy and effort for the playoffs.

Reminds of of last night's YES telecast. Flaherty was saying how some hitters who go 2-2 in their first two at bats, then relax and end up with a 2-4... but Jeter has so many 3 and 4 hit games because every bat is so important to him.

Shaq is great and on the short list of all time greats, but Duncan brings it every game, every season, every series... his foot injuries he sweeps aside and plays... we always hear about Shaq's injuries

The greats shouldn't need their coaches to motivate them.

Anonymous said...

Am I really someone to be shelling out hitting advice and analysis?

Anonymous said...

I'll admit, I'm a huge Shaq fan and always has been. The debate between Duncan and Shaq is legit. But consider this, Shaq changed the game, literally (in at least 2 ways).

1. they changed the way a basketball hoop was engineered to help prevent his ripping them down

2. the off the ball foul under 2 minutes, where the team gets one free throw and the ball

when rules are instituted as a result of your game, you're big time.

they did this for chamberlain with the 3 seconds rule...

JWS said...

They did it for Lew Alcindor with the dunk as well.

Neither one of those rules was instituted to minimize his dominance however. The basket was changed for safety and time efficiency purposes. The foul away from the ball was changed to maintain the integrity of the game.
It's no guarantee Shaq scores if you don't foul, but your team has a better chance of getting the ball back without more points on the board because of it.

I hear what you're saying... I'm still going with Duncan... everytime I say that however, I think back... Duncan was never as flat out dominant as Shaq. During those 3 titles in 3 years, I mean Shaq could not be stopped... not even close... ok i still haven't made up my mind

cjeasy said...

I don't think you heard me. Someone here owes my ass a hunda dollas.