Wednesday, May 9, 2007

De Facto Champion

Is the only meaningful series left Spurs-Suns? I guess you could throw in the NBA finals where the Piston will have a legit shot of winning, but I'm still going with the winner of Spurs-Suns. For one thing, helping both these teams is they don't have to go through the Mavs. The winner will have home court in the next round and finals and sure Jazz will beat you up and Warriors will run you up and down, but neither one presents the problems that the Mavs do.

Tuesday night we saw why Nash is the two time defending MVP The guy plays with a chip on his shoulder, he knows exactly how to work the game to his advantage. He drives that baseline, looks for a cutter and if not, he draws out whichever big man is closer. I mean besides Jason Kidd, nobody else comes close to having the overall effect on the game from the point guard position as Nash. I notices Bill Simmons wrote today about Duncan being underrated and I have not read the article yet but I share the same sentiments. The guy just goes out there and does exactly what he's suppose to. Sure, Amare gets his on the offensive end but Duncan is giving him a clinic on the other end. It's so bad that D'antoni only lets Kurt Thomas guard Duncan now. He can't afford Amare to pick up the obvious fouls he will by guarding Duncan.

My favorite players in the NBA are Kidd, Wade, Nash, etc, but Barbosa is threatening to crack in there. Im not familiar with his contract situation but teams should be breaking the bank for him when he's a free agent. I'm a little perplexed about Tony Parker. Is he a premier NBA point guard or not. Sometimes I think he is, but other times im not so sure. I know he's surrounded by Duncan and Ginobili and going up against Nash, but I never feel like he's taking over the game.

In other NBA news, I hate Vince Carter. Not even for bailing on Toronto which was messed up, but the way he doesn't use his talent. This is a guy who should be a top tier NBA player and is lucky to be considered in the second tier. Time after time you see Lebron bull his way to the rim, get fouled or get a good shot off. VC settles for these jump shots! Drive, jump and finish! No one can keep him from that rim and he's not a good enough shooter to be hanging out there like he does. Jefferson is doing what he can, Kidd does what he does, but VC lacks that killer instinct. He lacks that drive and flair for the game... and it's killing me. The Cavs are garbage, Pavlovic is shutting down VC and Lebron is doing enough to get them victories. I dont think the nets are that good by any strecth of the imagination but they can beat these Cavs.

*** Nuts and Bolts***
Hughes back in 3.5 weeks well ahead of projected return
Yanks in a nice little groove now, but yes Rivera appears to no longer be The Hammer of God (best nickname in sports)
Just watched idol... I'm supporting Blake Lewis and then Jordin Sparks... glad to see Lakisha go home and would love to see Dolittle (Mr. Ed) go home next, but prob not going to happen


I'm slacking right now with my blog effort but I will be back in full force come next week.
Welcome back Rocket, for $1 million a start he needs to be as good as advertised.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wait a second, there are NBA playoff going on right now? You serious?

Anonymous said...

Blake is a poser!

JAzz have a serious shot of beating the Suns or Spurs if AK47 plays at the level he did in game 1 and 2...