Friday, August 8, 2008

Tricky Tricky

Those tricky tricky Jets went out and got themselves a Hall of Famer. To be honest I did not think they had it in them. They proved me, and most of the sports world wrong by doing what it took to get Brett Favre from Packer Green to GANG GREEN. There is no doubt in my mind that this is the right thing to do for the franchise. Outside of maybe Bill Parcells, this is the biggest thing to happen to the franchise wince Super Bowl III. He has 10x the arm strength as Pennington and 100x the experience as Clemons. So I think that they are going to cruise to a playoff spot now that they got the QB to go along with a potentially great offensive line and a much improved defense. Actually, not quite...........


The Jets will definitely be better than last year. I would have felt that way without Brett Favre though. They have a very balanced team on both sides of the ball. The only thing that they really were lacking in my estimation was a couple big playmakers on offense. Brett Favre has had a history of turning many WRs into playmakers. Look at how his career spanned from Sterling Sharpe, to Robert Brooks, to Antonio Freeman, to Javon Walker, to Donald Drvier, to Greg Jennings. Not to mention a few TEs he did pretty well throwing to. My thing though is that I am not sold on Brett having another big-time year. Before last year, he has one terrible year and one mediocre year. He will be 39 in October. He could very easily have another one of those so-so years, which are definitely not what any Jet fan is anticipating.


I know the Jet fan mentality is not only that Favre could bring wins, but he makes them relevant. As a Met fan, I know how it feels to have the mentality that no one cares about your team because there is another team in town playing the same sport that steals all of your glory. The thing is though, how will these fans react if Favre starts slow and the Jets are 2-4 in the middle of October? Favre is known as a gunslinger and has had a reputation for having games over the years when he has absolutely killed his teams. He built up so much goodwill in Green Bay, that it did not really matter. He does not have that here, and I promise you they will let him here it if he is not holding up his end of the bargain.


I really hope that he does well. Jet fans deserve this, and I look forward to see him performing in New York. Maybe it is the Met fan in me though, seeing a franchise (and fanbase) desperate for attention reaching out to a guy past his prime to bring them to the promised land. I think this is a move the Jets had to make for the potential upside, I just fear that the downside is more likely, and would be such a punch to the gut for the fans. You know what thought? They're used to it, who am I kidding? In any event, congratulations Jet fans.


No comments: