Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Road Warriors

Good news... I got my swagger back. After an early trouncing in the Pick 'Em and Fantasy Football season... i have come back with vengeance. With 18 correct picks in the past two weeks and a 3-0 fantasy football week... I present to you my Week 6 picks. 10 of the 13 road teams will cover. Home team in CAPS

Free Money!

BEARS -5.5 over Vikings
Besides myself the entity with the second greatest return of swagger may be the Chicago Bears. I think Griese is going to reach serviceable status which is all these Bears really need from their QB. Benson finally found the endzone, they got their highly touted Greg Olsen back. I know the D is banged up, but look at the other side of the field. Unless All Day goes off in a way only he can do I can't see how these Vikings are going to find the endzone.

Titans +2.5 over BUCS
All Vince Young does is win football games. Problem is All Jeff Garcia does is be a mini Vince Young and win football games. The Bucs have zero running game right now, and I think I heard the stat that Jeff Fisher has been the best road record in football since he's taken over. That could be wrong, but I think I heard that. With a spread of 2.5, I could see this being a field goal game, with Young doing just enough for the win.... per usual

Dolphins +4.5 over BROWNS
These Browns are weird. They put up points, then they don't. They seem to be playing the Pats tough, then they can't cover a +16.5. I dunno, I don't see any NFL team going winless. This might be the game where the Dolphins break through. Ronnie Brown is running great and there is no reason to think that will stop this week.. Lewis for hurt for the Browns, I'm not sure what his status is... but I wouldn't be shocked to see the Dolphins win outright.

Rams +9,5 over RAVENS
Fellow blogger called it his upset special, I simply call it a free money cover. Ravens hit 3 field goals against the 49ers. Rams put up 31 pts against Arizona. I can see Ferrotte doing his best Griese impression. For the Ravens to beat a team by double digits they will need one of their vintage Ed Reed defensive/special teams touchdowns. And that's not something Im willing to bet on.

Texans +6.5 over JAGUARS
Jaguars will probably make the playoffs. Jaguars do not let up a lot of points (I believe 10.5 a game). Garrard has not thrown an INT this season (4th rated QB). However, they also don't seem to blow out teams. I also have faith in Schaub. Texans are coming off an amazing win, and although ugly it could be just the type of game they need to play against the Jags. Take your field goals, and play defense. Jones-Drew finally showed signs of life, but I see this being a 4th quarter game.

Redskins +3.5 over PACKERS
Redskins are coming off one of their most dominant defensive efforts in franchise history. I know Green Bay is a tough place to play but I think this Packers team may be one of those teams hyped up early on that fall off a bit. Yes Favre is playing well, but don't sleep on Campbell who is the real deal. Portis is healthy and the Packers still have no running game. This was one of the tougher picks for me, but did you see that Sellers youtube clip courtesy of one Ev Boyle?!?!

Eagles -2.5 over JETS
This one breaks my heart to pick and it is also one of the most difficult. I think some of the magic of Chad Pennington has been lost. Yes he is still fiery, yes I think he is still one of the smartest QB's in the league, but he has ZERO arm power. No this is not new news, but his 5 picks in the past 2 games, along with a home crowd you know will be cheering to put in Clemens at the sign of any trouble. Also I think the Eagles believe they can get back into the NFC playoff race. McNabb has only thrown one INT all year and I'm not sure if Westbrook is back or not, but if he is, I see the Eagles pulling this one out.

Bengals -3.5 over CHIEFS
Chiefs are a terrible terrible football team. When we look back to the 2007 season, one of the biggest shockers of all will be how the Chiefs went into San Diego and got a win. Bengals have a history of exploding after their bye week and this Chiefs team provides the perfect opposition for that.

CARDINALS -3.5 over Panthers
The Panthers and Cards are two teams I have the most difficult times assessing. Warner is now the unchallenged started in Arizona and for the Panthers, Carr or Moore who cares? Unless the Cards secondary sends hate mail to Steve Smith's home this week, one would think the Cards can pull this one out at home. Larry Fitz woke up last week in a big way and the status for Boldin is still unknown. Losing Whine-art might have been a blessing in disguise for this year's Cards.

CHARGERS -9.5 over Raiders
It's a lot of points, but they put up 41 pts last week. LT didnt even get in the end zone last week but the cancer in the clubhouse V-Jax did. If Culpepper can account for 5 TD's, on less then 100 yards of offense again like he did 2 weeks ago then this game will obviously be close. I'm still not sold on Rivers, but I think the D makes a few plays this week and we have ourselves a blowout.

Pats -4.5 over COWBOYS

I hate Romo, I love when Romo accounts for 6 turnovers. I hate the Patriots. I hate this matchup, but man I can't wait to watch this game. Many are saying if Romo threw 5 picks against the Bills what will he do against the Pats. However, anyone who knows anything knows football does not work this way. It's a week to week game. Pats look like a team for the ages, and I can't pick against them until any weakness at all is exposed. Is this a battle for the game's best receiver??? I dont think anyone is in Randy's class, but I would bet To wouldn't say the same. Romo wants to be considered elite in anyone's book besides John Madden and Joe Buck then he needs to prove it in this game.

Saints +6.5 over SEAHAWKS
Why on earth would I pick the Saints in this game. They can't catch the ball, they can't throw the ball and they can't run the ball. I don't know, but there is something boring and missing about this Seattle team. They barely had the ball in the second half in Pittsburgh and Alexander is a shell of his former self. Saints have to wake up at some point. I am having a hard time defending this pick, but I'm sticking with it.

Giants -4.5 over FALCONS
Doesn't matter to me Harrington or Leftwich. Giants should roll through hapless Atlanta. I can't think of one exciting thing going on for Atlanta. Their biggest splashes are in court where they keep winning money back from Vick. Giants are kind of stuck right now between playoff contender/pretender. Going two games over .500 with a win will point them in the right direction.


31 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does anyone else not care nor look forward to Jordan's weekly football picks post?

That's all you got? Really? Every week for the entire football season? That's creative.

Get a life.

Hi Certane :)

Anonymous said...

Ooooooo SNAP!

Anonymous said...

Sshhhhhhh. Do not anger the great Thursday Blogger.

Just be thankful that we got an explanation of the picks this time.

Anonymous said...

Got milk?

Anonymous said...

WHo wants to join me for dominos and football on sunday? Michael? Senator? Pwetty pwease....


Hi matt katz:)

Anonymous said...

That was obviously not the real Certane as everyone knows that I would have Michael pick up some Pizza Hut on the way in.

Anonymous said...

Can someone scratch my back?

Anyone?

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Anonymous said...

Yeah you're right... i def dont look forward to Jordan's weekly, useful NFL picks but I do look forward to Katz telling us who is playing in the NLCS and ALCS, and giving us such an in depth analysis.

It's as if we have our very own Buster Olney

Anonymous said...

I have to disagree.

I feel like Katz has the better articles at least there is a little(ok very little) parity in his posts. These thursday picks are boring.

I am happy we got a descriotion this week though.

Oh all powerful Da Bocker. Please do not take these comments and punish us with another post of just teams and red dots as picks.

Seriouslar. Team names and red dots. That was a full post.

Anonymous said...

Da Bocker may be taking an extended vacation from this blog

Anonymous said...

description not descriotion.

you vultures

Anonymous said...

hmmm, TWO weeks of baseball playoff picks, or SIXTEEN weeks straight of nfl picks, and that's it...hmmmm

plus, don't play the olney card, ice cold is the only one who plagurizes him, i don't even have espn insider...

kelly RIPA!

Anonymous said...

good riddance

Anonymous said...

I am the preview king....you can count on me providing a generic preview before any "popular" sporting event.

Talk about originality...

Anonymous said...

I had an experience last night with Tyson and it may have turned me straight!

JWS said...

Yes each week has had picks, but each has also had another element too.
1. We had the costume ideas
2. We had the fantasy surprises
3. We had only the red dots
4. We had a game by game analysis

Jordan "aka the new Murph"

Anonymous said...

I QUIT

Anonymous said...

Wow that is big news, I cant believe he chose here. On beer sandwiches to annouce that.

Anonymous said...

Sports Previews never get old.

Cause there is always something new(New = opposite of old). Every week.

Its AMAZING!

Anonymous said...

Senator...come on up to boston and I'll show you the way back...

Anonymous said...

I'm kind of a big deal...in case you fellas don't know.

Anonymous said...

"home teams on the left"

was easily my favorite post of all time...

Anonymous said...

I'm offended by that bocker!! It not that I was unoriginal, it was that I just never posted. And that I look like Harry Potter.

Anonymous said...

Red Sox in the playoffs = quality time on the couch with Boston fans and dominoes pizza deliver guys.

Hi cutie pie (certane) :)!

Anonymous said...

I can't take this BS no more, I'm all hot and bothered and I'm taking off my shirt!

Anonymous said...

You go boy!

Anonymous said...

Fine, I admit it...I'm getting really turned on!

Anonymous said...

Can I join?

Hi Boys :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Jose Reyes ;)

Anonymous said...

I don't think you boys heard me.

I am kinda a big deal!

Hi Certane:)

Anonymous said...

I drive a DODGE STRATUS