Sunday, November 11, 2007

Ugh

The way I used to feel about the Eagles, I now feel about the Cowboys. I fuckin hate them. I hate their owner, I hate their coach and I hate their QB. Any time I see that shit eating grin on any one of them I get annoyed. I guess what I am trying to say is that while at 4PM today I felt that they were overrated, I am now giving them some respect, albeit through hate. They have an extremely explosive offense and a surprisingly stout defense.

The biggest adjustment I see in the Cowboys is that they now prevent big plays by the other teams offense. They are confident enough in their front seven that they do not need to bring extra guys in the box to stop the run and they can sit back and play everything in front of them.

Anyway, enough of that babble. To me there are two ways to view this game.

1. The difference in big plays on offense. The Cowboys has a 25 yard TD and a 50 yard TO to Terrell Owens. The Giants meanwhile were not able to make that big play over the top. In fact, I do not remember them really taking a shot over the top through the air. That is the first time all season I can say that. I don't know if Plaxico's ankle was bothering him or if Manning was just trying to stay disciplined against this Dallas D that was giving him the underneath stuff. Either way, the Cowboys were able to make the big plays while the Giants were not.

2. Two potential Giant TD were negated by penalties. The kickoff return and the Droughns TD run. Either one would have tied the game. I know the kickoff was down at the one, but I assume the Giants would have pounded it in.

We know Manning did not play a great game. He had a couple ridiculous play clock violations and threw a couple picks (one on a hail mary at the end of the game which meant nothing). My feeling now is that the Giants are still a good team and they now have to rebound and play well next week. They still have the ability to win 10 or more games and be in the playoffs. The Giants are probably as bitter as I am and I bet they would want nothing more than another shot at these Cowboys in January.

Going forward for the Giants there are two things that should be focused on. One is something that has been lingering for a while now. The Giants do not have a reliable third WR. Eli probably threw 80 of his passes to Plax and Shockey. That needs to change. Secondly, the Giants need to get back to what they did the six games before this Dallas game. Getting to the quarterback. The Giants did not get very much pressure on Romo and when they did he was able to break contain pretty easily. If the Giants are going to play as aggressive as they did today, then they need to get to the QB or they are leaving their secondary pretty vulnerable.

Anyway, the Giants can basically concede the division. They are currently 6-3 though and still have a very good opportunity to make the playoffs and even have a home playoff game. Next week is a key game in Detroit though. When you look at the state of the season and the franchise what the Giants really need in order to save the coaches job and see some improvement in the QB will be winning a playoff game. So here they are. They are not in the class of Dallas right now, but there is still a long way to go in this season. I can't feel good right now, but a win next week could do a lot for their playoff hopes.

STKAFI

No comments: