Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Two Post Turkey Day Treats

Before I get started here, I would just like to admit to everyone because Carey stayed at my apartment this weekend, I was forced into watching a combined 1 minute and 32 seconds of the MLS Cup this past Sunday. Houston came back from behind and won 2-1 to take the cup for the second year in a row, handing New England their third straight MLS Cup loss in a row, and will be forever known as the Buffalo Bills of the MLS. When will the torture stop for Boston sports fans? I do not know.

Seriously though, back to real sports. As any sports fan knows, there are a few NFL games on Thanksgiving every year, with typically the Packers, Lions, and Cowboys. However, because the NFL season has been all but wrapped up by the Patriots, I won't waste any one's time discussing the T-Day games.

2007 will mark the first year since I can remember I won't be in my hometown for my favorite night of the year and statistically the biggest bar night of the year in the U.S., the night before Thanksgiving Day (thanks a lot for moving to Florida, Mom). Although I won't be the typical dance machine everyone is used to that night, fortunately, I recently discovered two treats I will be able to enjoy as alternatives.

The first is that I will be attending the Celtics/Lakers game in Boston on Friday night. Not only is this game traditionally one of the greatest sports rivalries ever, but this year, the game should be particularly entertaining, and certainly a lot more worth watching than in recent years. Last year, I probably would have shrugged at learning I would be going to this game, but now it's different. Not having a true NBA will allow me to enjoy the game even more as I will be able to enjoy the game as a fan of truly great players and just root for a good game. Two of the most talented, flashy, and future hall-of-fame players will be going head-to-head in Kobe Bryant and Kevin Garnett. In addition, I will be able to enjoy seeing former UConn Huskie Ray Allen in action. It's been difficult to go see a quality basketball game in the Tri-state/New England area in the past few years, and this will certainly be a treat.

A day after the game, I will be able to sit back and literally watch the UConn Huskies football team play for the Big East title and an automatic BCS bowl birth. Yes, you read the correctly, the UConn football team, playing for a BCS bowl game. Amazing. This will not be an easy task as the squad travels to Morgantown to face the electric and explosive West Virginia Mountaineers. Realistically, I do not expect a win, nor do I really expect a close game. However, it will be very entertaining nonetheless to be able to see a football team, that just graduated to a FBS (D-IA) team a mere five years ago compete for a conference championship. A team which was picked to finish seventh out of eight in the Big East this year. It's always fun to root for the underdog, especially when the underdog is my Alma-mater.

Quick shout out to all who joined me at the Coaches vs. Cancer Classic last Friday, it was a blast. Even though IceCold couldn't stay up for the whole thing. Dip!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I dozed a bit at the bball game...I should have bit the bullet and just gone number 3..